Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horizontal Axes Minor tick Interval display

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
ccieslak
1662 Views, 7 Replies

Horizontal Axes Minor tick Interval display

Hello all,

I need help. I have the bottom axis selected and trying to change my minor tick interval from 5' to 2.5' on the grid in the Horizontal Axes tab, but each time I type in 2.5' my minor horizontal tick intervals disappear. The lowest I can set my interval is to 3.5'. What is causing the interval to disappear? The major tick interval is set to 50' in the Horizontal Axes tab and my Major tick interval is 20' in the Vertical Axes tab with 2.5' for the minor. My Display settings have everything unfrozen and turned on.

Thanks,

Chris

Working in AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
sboon
in reply to: ccieslak

Profile view, section view or something else?

Can you upload a drawing with this style in it?

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 8
BrianHailey

I just tried it out myself and I didn't have any issues changing the values. In fact, I even changed it to 0.01'. As Steve mentioned, can you give us some more information? Or even better yet, a file?

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 4 of 8
ccieslak

Hello again,

First off, thank you to the both of you for responding. I am posting two images of my problem. I have the 5' interval that displays my vertical grid correctly, and then I have the 2.5' interval image that shows my vertical grid disappearing. The only thing I can think of is that this grid is too large. I am working with a massive profile. Is the grid too dense at the 2.5' interval to even display? However, when I change the minor tick detail Interval in my Vertical Axes from 2.5' to 1.25' I dont have this problem it displays correctly. Any thoughts?

Thanks again,

Chris

Message 5 of 8
sboon

I tried some experimenting and I can confirm that there seems to be a limit to the number of minor grid lines that can be displayed in a profile view.  If I adjust the minor tick interval to a very small value then they stop displaying.  If I have a style which is working, but I stretch out the alignment so that the profile view becomes very large then the minor ticks will also stop displaying.

It's something that very few users will run into, but it would be nice to know what the limit is.  For the OP the only thing I can suggest is that you split your profile into two or more views.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 6 of 8
sboon
in reply to: sboon

More experiments:

• The limit seems to be at 10,000 minor tick lines.  Any combination of profile length and tick spacing that exceeds this number makes them disappear.
  • It's not just the minor ticks; the major grids and the grid labels also go away.
  • I haven't checked the vertical axis but I suspect that they will act in a similar fashion.
Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 7 of 8
ccieslak

Hi,

Thanks for the response again. I did some experimenting myself, and you are completely right SBoon. My grid is much too large to display what I want to do. I need to break my profile into a few pieces to work.

Thanks for all the help!

Chris

Message 8 of 8
sboon

Start Rant

Once again Autodesk does not consider that users may need or want unlimited display capability!  Epic Fail!

End Rant. Smiley Wink

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report