Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Assemblies and Code Sets

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
gerald.l.piotrowski
2032 Views, 14 Replies

Help with Assemblies and Code Sets

First let me start by saying I am new to Civil 3d and Autodesk product. I have been using Bentley Products for 10+ years. With that said, I am having a very difficult time understanding the logic and workflow for Civil 3d. I have taken training in the software and now I am trying to make changes to the default\stock assemblies that is deliverd with Civil 3d. The first change I am trying to make is to change the Codes that are used in the CrownedLane subassembly.

For instance I want to change the "ETW" code to read "EOP". Based on what I have read in the help file it seems like I need to change the C3DStockSubassemblyScripts.codes file to contain the "EOP" code. I add the following line to the end of the file as the help file suggest:

//
// Custom content
//
187,EOP,EOP,Edge of Pavement

Then I close and restart Civil 3d and create a new assembly and apply the modified code set that has "EOP" in it. Then I create a new assembly and select the CrownedLane subassembly. When I place the CrownedLane subassembly and view the properties I do not see the "EOP" but the "ETW".

So how do I change the "ETW" to "EOP"?

I have also looked into the Subassembly Composer but feel like it won't do me any good untill I understand how the Code Set is being used by the Assembly.

Thanks,

Gerald Piotrowski

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
sboon
in reply to: gerald.l.piotrowski

I'm not sure of why you would want to edit the codes but I would recommend against it.  There is already a code called EPS which is typically used in the subassemblies for Edge of Paved Surface.  You can create a label style that displays the ETW code with your own choice of words.  All of the stock subassemblies which are shipped with the software have those codes built into them at the proper locations, and if you change the codes file you may be seeing an EoP code in the wrong location.

I would also be concerned about how this change would affect others who may be using your drawings.  Their software would not be modified so they may see different codes than you.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 15
gerald.l.piotrowski
in reply to: sboon

Steve forgive my igornance, but as far as how this would affect others, why would it matter if the codes are different? Since everything is contained in the file wouldn't the used codes be as well?

The reason for changing the Codes is that our users are used to a set of Codes from Bentley. Since we are primarlily a Bentely shop it just makes sence to have the same codes used to help with the transistion when working on projects that use Autodesk.

Thanks,

Gerald Piotrowski

Message 4 of 15
sboon
in reply to: gerald.l.piotrowski

The codes in the file allow the software to convert the numbers used within the subassembly programming code into the acronym labels used in various languages and jurisdictions.  If you create an assembly which converts 187 to EOP and pass that drawing onto another user I'm not sure if their software will use your codes or re-read the values from their file.  I am fairly certain that if that user were to insert another subassembly into the drawing it would use their version of the codes file, so the drawing might have two lane subassemblies with different codes in use for the same point.

Autodesk originally assumed that the ETW code would be used at a lane edge, and that most users would attach a paved shoulder subassembly (with an EPS code) to the outside of the lanes. 

Clipboard01.png

I grabbed a screenshot from an assembly with a divided multilane section.  In your case both of the lane edge points, currently marked as ETW would become EoP in all of the assemblies you create.  Is that your intent?

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 15

Did you Save in the Unicode format?

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 6 of 15

Instead of trying to change the internal program coding, you could just change the label style. Don't include the CODE as part of the label, just hard code the text

.2014-04-17_7-42-06.jpg

Code Set

2014-04-17_7-45-09.jpg

Label style

2014-04-17_7-45-37.jpg

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 7 of 15
fcernst
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

That is a good workaround for labeling. However, he is going to end up wanting his corridor feature lines to be coded with the new codes.

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 8 of 15

My ultimate goal is to have the point codes to use the same coding convention that we currently use with the Bentley products. I know this may sound silly but from a users perspective it would help them understand what is happening with the assemblies in Civil 3D. Yes most of the codes are similar between the products but for the ones that are not those are the ones that I would like to change.

Fred is correct in that I would want the feature lines to be coded with the new codes.

Is there any other benefit to changing the codes other than making the transition easier on the users?

If not maybe I should just give up and let this go as it may cause other problems downstream. Guess the users will just have to get used to the different names and adjust accordingly.

Message 9 of 15

The point codes in the subassemblies are designated internally by index numbers.   The code name is read from the C3DStockSubassemblyScripts.codes file.  Instead of adding your own code index 187, edit the index number 6 line.  Change the first ETW to EOP.  This is how Autodesk modifies the point codes for other languages.

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.
Message 10 of 15

In your case both of the lane edge points, currently marked as ETW would become EoP in all of the assemblies you create.  Is that your intent?

The LaneAOR subassembly has four options to choose from for the outer point code. So he would choose Lane in this scenario for the inner lanes and EOP for the outer lanes.

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 11 of 15
fcernst
in reply to: sboon

I'm not sure of why you would want to edit the codes but I would recommend against it....

and if you change the codes file you may be seeing an EoP code in the wrong location.

I would also be concerned about how this change would affect others who may be using your drawings.  Their software would not be modified so they may see different codes than you.

The software has been designed to fully accomodate the ability to change the stock codes on a localized level while maintaining the original code variables for Civil 3D to use across languages. This ability makes the drawings portable.

Like David said, simply change the localized varaiable field (located after the index number) in the second field position. Don't change the original code variable in the third field position.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 12 of 15

I don't recommend playing with the code file.
Most sub assemblies are hard wired in the code for these.

If you want custom codes the generic subassemblies are the way forward. I generally use these all the time.

With a bit of learning you can also use subassembly composer, again all my subs from that I include the ability to change the code for the point. That I do recommend doing always.
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 13 of 15
fcernst
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

I don't recommend playing with the code file.
Most sub assemblies are hard wired in the code for these.

This is not true.

The software has been designed to accomodate this request and the Help fully explains how. There are two distinct variables,  the localzed code variable and the original code variable. 

.....For example, we can easily change the localized code from Flange to Lip on our stock gutters.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 14 of 15

Yes but changing the codes in this file has to be migrated to everyone else or include this file when sending the dwg out otherwise they will revert back.

I'd recommend using generic links etc where possible as the codes will travel without hassle then.
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 15 of 15
fcernst
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

They are not going to want to limit themselves right from the start solely to Generic Links.....

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report