Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help on Choosing AutoCAD3D Civil or AutoCAD LT

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Brad737
521 Views, 9 Replies

Help on Choosing AutoCAD3D Civil or AutoCAD LT

Dear AutoCAD community,

I have a question;

Which 3D version of AutoCAD do I need to import a .txt file of x,y,z coordinates from my GPS unit (Leica GPS900)

I am under the impression I need either AutoCAD Civil 3D or AutoCAD LT... Not sure which would be more practical....

The CAD product will be used only for importing GPS data, and used to create 3D models of our crushed rock stockpiles.

Basically, I would like to plot all the points taken into a 3D model space, then get area and volumes, for each indivdual stockpile/block.

Im apologize in advance if this has been answered numerous time already. 

Best Regards.

Brad

Attached is an example of a  .txt file I'd like to plot out into Auto3D 

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: Brad737

Civil 3D.

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 10
Brad737
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Thank you.

Message 4 of 10
neilyj666

there are other software packages that will do this relatively trivial task - would you expect to do other things with the software?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 10
Brad737
in reply to: neilyj666

Well the main purpose is for the crushed rock stockpile volumes at our Quarry.

As well, I would like to create a virtual representaion of the cliff face we blast for rock.. So i'd go and take points with my GPS around the perimeter of the top deck, then along the floor/cliff line. Then create an orthographic representation for my Drill guy, (He uses a drill that can be angled, and I think the drawing would help him plan out his blast bore holes.

But again that would just be point import in CAD 3D..

I might use it on my own for various design applications. For example, I like to draw in CAD...for fun once in a while.

I guess I'd mostly need it for importing point data from my GPS, and for estimating from 3D CAD drawings.

I have been looking around and have found AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 for about $1500.

Think I saw a 2010 Civil 3D for about $1300.

If you have any other suggestions Im all ears...er eyes 🙂

Message 6 of 10
neilyj666

That seems suspiciously cheap for Civil 3D; not sure what the pricing structure is for old versions or Autodesk policy on availability of new seats for old software but you'd be unlikely to get a competitor's product that cheap - current version Civil 3D 2014 is $6000-$7000 I'd guess. 

If you can source a legal 2012 copy for the price you mention then it can handle the tasks you've outlined (perhaps using a sledgehammer to crack a nut) but as this is an Autodesk forum I won't advertise competitor's products (and I'm not familiar with alternative US software anyway)

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 7 of 10
dgorsman

Depending where you are located, you may not be able to activate that software.  I can guarantee its not from AutoDesk or a reseller, as AutoDesk sells the most current version, and allows access to a couple of previous releases with purchase of subscription.  Regardless of where you get it, you still need to activate it with AutoDesk before you can use it.  Some jurisdictions do not force a software publisher to allow resold software to be activated.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 10
Brad737

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 Retail Box - 1 User

Price: $1,550.00
Item Number: 237D1-ABN111-1001
Manufacturer: Autodesk
Manufacturer Part No: 237D1-ABN111-1001
Shipping only within the continental US and Canada

This is being sold on a software solutions website.

Are you saying, I would not be able to run this software without consent from autodesk ?

Are you also saying, in order to use this 2012 version, I actually need to buy a copy of 2014 first ?

And then get licensing permission from Autodesk before using the 2012 version ?

I'm a bit confused here.

Wouldn't the "permissions" to use the 2012 version be found in the box, like with a registration key for example ?

Message 9 of 10
camilo.lemos

Hi Brad, 

Just wanted to add a few points to this thread. I hope I won't turn this too much into a stern legal discussion, but I feel I need to provide you with a bit more background to help you make an informed purchase decision.

As neilyj and dgorsman mentioned above, Autodesk and our authorized resellers (this is our reseller locator tool if you'd like to find one near you) only sell the most current version of our products.

I'll refrain from passing judgement on the website you got this offer from, but I must tell you that any software bought from parties other than Autodesk or our authorized resellers must go through a transfer of license approval process (since autodesk licenses are, per our End User License Agreement, nontransferable) and there is no way we can guarantee that a Transfer of License process will be approved - this basically means that there is a possibility that you may not be able to activate and use the product.

Regarding the purchase of 2014 to use 2012: current version products purchased with a Subscription Contract enable our subscription customers to request a Previous Version License to use products up to 3 versions back from the current one (this applies to most but not all of our products, I'd encourage you to have a look at this). This currently is the only method 100% supported by Autodesk to aquire older version products.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions!

Camilo Lemos

Message 10 of 10
Brad737

Thanks Camilo... wow, yeah ill have to look over the links you provided.
Thanks for the information.
Will post again after I've looked over the link info, if I have any further questions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report