Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help File Update gone bad

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
MarissaG
133 Views, 12 Replies

Help File Update gone bad

I went to the Knowledge Base and downloaded the Civil 3D 2006 Help Update that is supposed to include additional information on pipes and subassemblies. I followed the directions in the readme, and now, NONE of the links in my help file work. Abosulutely NONE.

I think it's because I didn't not install the software under the default path of C:\Program Files\Autodesk Civil 3D 2006. I work for a reseller so I have a lot of Autodesk software on my machine. For this reason, I use the following path: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Civil 3D 2006

I know I'm not the only person who installs the software under something other than the default path. And because the readme told me to OVERWRITE the other file, the good version of it that worked before I "updated" it is gone. Please tell me how I can fix this because I now have NO access to the help files, so I can't help myself or my clients very effectively.

Marissa Jenkinson
Sales Applications Engineer
CADD Microsystems, Inc.
Marissa Jenkinson
CADD Microsystems, Inc.
Windows XP 64-bit
AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Map 3D, Raster Design 2011
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: MarissaG

MarissaJ wrote:
> And because the readme told me to OVERWRITE the other file, the good version of it that worked before I "updated" it is gone. Please tell me how I can fix this issue...

Marissa,

First thing to try would be to repair the install. If that doesn't
work, from another install at your site, you could copy just the four or
five files that the update on to your machine into your install's Help
directory.

--
Himanshu Gohel. Civil3D Team, Autodesk, Inc.
Autodesk Civil3D Product Information: http://www.autodesk.com/civil3d
Message 3 of 13
MarissaG

I actually already got the files from someone else at my office who has the install. But I guess my real problem is this: How do I get the updated content without losing all of my existing content???
Marissa Jenkinson
CADD Microsystems, Inc.
Windows XP 64-bit
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

Hi Marissa,
So I can better understand the issue, I have a couple of questions for you. Did you copy the help files to a \Help subfolder of your installed directory?

Could you please also tell me a little more about the broken links? Do they occur when you click a Help button in a dialog box, or are they specifically related to the subassembly reference links, or both?
Thanks,
Karla Leighton, Autodesk Technical Publications
Message 5 of 13
MarissaG

Hi Karla 🙂

I actually followed the readme instructions exactly, except for the path. I made sure all Autodesk products were closed, I opened the zip file, then extracted it to C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Civil 3D 2006\Help.

The broken links occur both when I hit a help button from a dialog and when I just go to Help menu, then choose Help. I get the initial start up screen which allows me to choose which help I want (Civil 3D, Map, or AutoCAD). If I choose Civil 3D, I get the next screen which lets me pick from a list of links (points, surfaces, alignments, etc....) It is when I try to go any deeper than that that all of my links are broken. Some of them appear and blank screens (usually top levels) and some show up as "Page cannot be found" (usually lower levels)
Marissa Jenkinson
CADD Microsystems, Inc.
Windows XP 64-bit
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

Hi Marissa,
It sounds like the civil_ug.chm file may not be in the same folder as the main help file (which is named Civil3D2006.chm). Could you please check to see if both of these files are in the \Help folder to see if this might be the issue?

Thanks,
Karla
Message 7 of 13
MarissaG

Karla,

Unfortunately, this was the first thing I checked when I had the problem. The files are definitely all in the same folder

- Marissa
Marissa Jenkinson
CADD Microsystems, Inc.
Windows XP 64-bit
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

Hi Marissa,
Would you mind emailing me your phone number so I can discuss this with you and hopefully get it resolved? My email is my firstname.lastname@autodesk.com.

Thanks,
Karla Leighton
Message 9 of 13
MarissaG

Karla,

Sorry, I was in training this past week, but I'm back in my office now. I will send you my phone number.

Thanks!

- Marissa
Marissa Jenkinson
CADD Microsystems, Inc.
Windows XP 64-bit
Message 10 of 13
MarissaG

Karla,

I was playing around this morning and I figured something out! For some reason, it seems that the issue occurs if I EXTRACT the files from the zip file. However, while I was messing around, I discovered something. If I double-click on the zip file to reveal it's contents, then I highlight the files and COPY them, I can then go into C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Civil 3D 2006\Help and PASTE them. For some reason, when I do it this way, the files and the links work!!!

Thank you very much for your help!!

- Marissa
Marissa Jenkinson
CADD Microsystems, Inc.
Windows XP 64-bit
Message 11 of 13
Land_Planning

Marissa,
I have been having same problem. Even resorted to a reinstall. But had no success until I tried what you suggested - Copy from zip file rather than extract. It worked.
Thanks,
Jane Kirkman
TPM
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

Jane Kirkman wrote:
>
> <...> I tried what you suggested - Copy from zip file rather than extract. It worked.

I'm curious which application you use to unzip the files? Do you use
the built-in Windows unzip feature, or a third-party application such as
WinZIP or StuffIt?

--
Himanshu Gohel. Civil3D Team, Autodesk, Inc.
Autodesk Civil3D Product Information: http://www.autodesk.com/civil3d
Message 13 of 13
MarissaG

Over here, we use the built-in Windows unzip feature. Because we have that, I don't have WinZip, although I wouldn't be surprised it if works fine with WinZip.

Keep me posted!

Thanks,

- Marissa

Marissa Jenkinson
CADD Microsystems, Inc.
Marissa Jenkinson
CADD Microsystems, Inc.
Windows XP 64-bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report