Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware question

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
tsachi
330 Views, 8 Replies

Hardware question

I'm currently working on a large project (my "work" file is almost 70MB).

The setup i have currently is an i5-3470@3.20 with 16GB of RAM. The vid card is an NVIDIA GT630.

Is it worth while to upgrade the CPU to an I7?

Currently i am not doing any rendering or shading so i think the vid card isn't an issue.

Thx.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
dasindog
in reply to: tsachi

I work with 70+MB files often. I'm working on a similar machine as you and the best performance upgrade I've had is installing an SSD as my main harddrive and increasing RAM. Harddrive and file server/network will be the biggest bottle neck. If you aren't experiencing any headaches then I would suggest to not make changes to your setup.

-Dustin
Civil 3D 2013 64 bit SP1
Windows 7 Pro 64
Intel Xeon 2.93GHz
24GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 580
explodetheblock.wordpress.com
Message 3 of 9
Jay_B

I'm currently working on a project that has a surface in that size range with very similar hardware.

What is causing your file to be 70MB? More specifics will help to understand possible solutions to manage the file size.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 4 of 9
tsachi
in reply to: Jay_B

Hello,

The file conains several surfaces, the main survay surface is ~32MB on it's own, i have 4-5 roads with their corridors, profiles, surfaces and what not. I Also have a combined surface of the original survay and grading surfaces for volume calculation purposes. As you can imagine the file is quite large.

I know I should be worjing via the project managment  (data link?) options in civil, but i'm new to civil and still learning.

Right now i have a priority project that once it's done, i will have time to sort the mess my file is in.

Message 5 of 9
Jay_B

Look into Data Shortcuts. This will increase your performance a lot if your not currently using them.

My 74mb surface is no problem when Data referenced into other files (it also has a companion .mms file that is 76mb).

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 6 of 9
pinwards

Another important reason for using data shortcuts and having different pieces of a project in multiple files is the always-present risk of corruption.  If your file gets corrupted you could lose everything in one shot the way you are working, not to mention the slowdown from working on such a large file. However, if you have the existing ground surface and survey information in one drawing, and another for your alignments/profiles, and another for corridors & xsecs, etc. you limit your corruption-risk to more manageable chunks and can have smaller file sizes. 

P

Message 7 of 9
tsachi
in reply to: pinwards

Thanks.

I recived some explenation on data short cuts a few weeks ago. Is there an online explenation on how to use data shortcuts?

Message 8 of 9
Jay_B

There's the Help for Data Shortcuts and Youtube is always a good place to research unfamiliar topics.

The Civil 3d Best Practices Guide also has useful information on data management.

Also check out the Project Management Tutorials.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 9 of 9
tsachi
in reply to: Jay_B

Thanks, will do.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report