maqsoodamc
Message 1 of 4 (534 Views)
Accepted Solution

HOW TO USE FIELD BOOK DATA

534 Views, 3 Replies
01-16-2014 12:44 AM
Sir/Madam,

I am using AutoCAD 2012 Civil 3D
I have an alignment which is complete in all respects. Profile also has been finalized. Now the survey (joint cross section) has been carried out and the output is in the form of field books. We have the data in format like we have km and than offset left and right and then elevation.
My question is that how to use this data in civil 3D for creating cross sections and computing earth fill quantities. The data file is attached for understanding.

Best Regards

MAQSOOD
Active Contributor
L3GO-Ed
Message 2 of 4 (519 Views)

Re: HOW TO USE FIELD BOOK DATA

01-16-2014 04:19 AM in reply to: maqsoodamc

Hello Maqsood.

To create cross section in C3D, you will need atleast one surface. This surface in your case will be created using the Points in your field book, here we refer to it as OGL data.Am assuming you have an alignment defined already, if not do so and follow this simple Procedure.

A) Format your field data

• Arrange your field data in a notepad file with separate columns for (in order); chainage station (Km, no "+" signs or prefixes, just the value, say, 62700-I've attache a sample of this), offset(positive for right,negative for left), elevation and (optionally) Description. Dont forget to save it

B) Create Points Data

• In your drawing, Go to points on the prospector,right click and click create...... the point creation dialog will show up.
  • Choose the 3rd icon, "alignments", click the drop down and choose "Import from file."
  • You will be prompted to browse to the file, "browse to the loaction you saved the file".
  • select the appropriate options when prompted. Then,
  • you will be prompted to select an alignment, click on it,  

If your file was well formatted, then you should have your points created.

C)Create a Tin Surface and add the points data to it.

HTH

Edrisa

maqsoodamc
Message 3 of 4 (358 Views)

02-23-2014 09:32 PM in reply to: L3GO-Ed

Dear Sir/Madam

import station offset elevation ascii (txet) file done then

Create a Tin Surface and add the points data to it.

In AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 we are follow the following steps to design the new road projects.

1. Creation of Surface.
  2. Import /Export of survey data.
  3. Data Modification.
  4. With the help of survey data in shape PENZD (Point #, Easting, Northing, Elevation and Description) pattern. We draw the contour on new surface and with the help of the contour we marked every point of ground on the surface which is creating in civil 3D.
  5. Than we draw the alignment on the contour data.
  6. After this we draw the profile on this alignment and continue further process like Assembly Cross Section, Corridor, Volume, Creation of Section Views, Plane and Profile Sheets Creation of Section Views, Report Generation etc.

If

1. I have following data in shape of hard copy which we taken from already designed project.

• Alignment Data
  • Profile Data
  • Natural Ground Level (From Field Book)

(File Attached)

In the presence of above data my question is how i can draw Cross Section and take the Quantity of earth work in Civil 3D 2012.

I will highly grateful to you if you send us a demonstration of our question through VIDEO CLIP.

Active Contributor
L3GO-Ed
Message 4 of 4 (313 Views)

02-24-2014 08:47 PM in reply to: maqsoodamc

Hello maqsood

Let me hope I got your question, if not let me know.

You seem to suggest that, according to the steps 1-6, you are comfortable with the creation of Cross section views, Profiles, volume computations, Report generation etc. So your Problem is to translate the hard copy design data to a usable format in a C3D corridor model (let me know incase am derailed). Unfortunately you did attach a sample of the hardcopy data, but let me guess with these solutions

• The alignment. In case your data is in form of tangent and curve data, you can plot it out using the alignment layout tools.
  • Profile data.       If this given in Station/ elevation format or in tangent/curve format, I would recommend you can use the File Profile as opposed to     plotting it out. Check out the help -file:///C:/Program%20Files/Autodesk/Autodesk%20AutoCAD%20Civil%203D%202014/Help/filesCUG/GUID-67A2129F-3FD2-47A6-8D2E-139D19C1DD55.htm (incase you are using W8)
  • NGL.           This shouldn’t trouble (I guess), from the previous posts

Good luck (sorry am not able to send a video)

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs