Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grip Edit Causes Freeze

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
d_reno
1361 Views, 8 Replies

Grip Edit Causes Freeze

Hey,

I am using C3D 2012 on a capable Dell Precision Win7 machine. Oftentimes when I grab an AEC object, like a COGO point or a feature line, the software hangs up and stops responding. The remedy is to go into another WIndows window, like an Explorer window, then immediately go back into C3D. The program now responds. Otherwise if I do not switch tasks it might take like a minute (can't reproduce at this moment in order to time it, it is sporadic) before C3D comes back to a responsive state on its own.

Prpobably unrelated, but I am also experiencing an apparent memory leak with my new 12 install. After four or five hours of working I am getting a Windows advisory to close programs because the system memory is all used up. This is typically modified memory that has been allocated and is then unaccesible. Not sure what is going on with that. 

Any ideas?

Thanks!

david

David Renaud, RLS
C3D 2012 on 64bit Win 7 all up to date
Dell Precision 7core 8GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M
LDT/C3D user since release 12
Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
hgohel
in reply to: d_reno

Basics - can you give your system specs, including 32/64 bit info, RAM, and graphics card? Please make sure to update Windows, and all applicable updates from DELL, e.g. your BIOS...there have been posts on this forum that such updates resolve seemingly strange issues.

Second, have you installed Update 1 for Civil 3D 2010?

If you have any other installations in your office, are other users experiencing such issues?

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 9
castled071049

Try closing all pallettes (except Toolspace) and see if that helps. With the Properties pallette active, for example, anything you highlight requires the pallete to go to the database and extract the information to dispaly, causing a slight delay. Same with the Xref Manager, Layer Manager, etc. Also, turn off tray settings like Dynamic Input and Quick Properties, for the same reason. My response time increases noticably if I do these things.

Also, I audit frequently files that are C3D intensive, and purge unused layers and objects. Just some things to try.

Message 4 of 9
d_reno
in reply to: hgohel

HImanshu,

Yes, sorry. I thought "capable" was sufficient, but ...

Dell Precision 

64 bit Window 7, Up to date both from WIndows Update and I specifically got the latest video driver from Dell.

Core 7 processor

8MB RAM

NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M display adapter with (I think) 1MB dedicated RAM

ANd I think that I mentioned that this is with Civil 3D release 2012, not 2010. The installation was about a week and a half ago and came with SP1.

There is one other user in our office who has had performance issues with release 2012. He applied a hotfix,http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=17013122&linkID=9240898, for Autocad 2012. The hotfix documentation, however, says that SP1 should already contain the fix and that installing the hotfix could cause issues. So I did not install the hotfix. Other users have not reported problems, but I haven't polled everyone.

thanks!

david

David Renaud, RLS
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M
Message 5 of 9
d_reno
in reply to: castled071049

thanks castle,

I will try these things. I already knew about keeping the layer manager closed. I usually always have the Properties boix open. I will try to see if this makes a difference. Xref manager is only on when used, I *do* have dynamic input enables, but that is going away now, I guess.

thanks for the advice. I will give it a shot.

dr

David Renaud, RLS
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M
Message 6 of 9
castled071049

I'm not saying don't use Dynamic Input, etc. There are times when it is very useful. I'm just suggesting that when you experience some serious lag issues, closing these things always helps me. Give it a try.

Message 7 of 9

Message 8 of 9
d_reno
in reply to: randcdavidson

Thanks both of yas, castle & rand.

I will give that a shot, rand. Today I have this issue with the WIindows spinning "working" icon not going away, and fluttering on the screen. Saving a dwg caused acad.exe to use 1.4 MB RAM and took about three minutes. I closed the session, but acad.exe continued to run and I had to use Task Manager to close it.

Grrrrr! Just for once I wish this would work out of the box without issues.

David Renaud, RLS
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M
Message 9 of 9
d_reno
in reply to: randcdavidson

thanks again. I disabled tooltips entirely, wherever I could find them without going into every style for everything in the drawing. These can be informative, but rarely useful for me. If I need to extract information there are Inquiry tools that I can be more precise than "eyeballing" a location while rtolling over. I hope that this helps!

David Renaud, RLS
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report