Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grid Volume - Changing Grid Spacing

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
JMcCoskey
1237 Views, 4 Replies

Grid Volume - Changing Grid Spacing

Understanding that composite volumes are typically more accurate, I have a reason to evaluate the volume between two surfaces via a grid volume.  Easily created a grid volume surface using a 50' grid (50' is large for this site, but wanted to get a feel for calculation time).

Question: Can you change the grid size without creating a new grid surface?  Ultimately I woud like to explore the difference in volumes based on grid sizing without creating a long list of surfaces.  One would expect that you could chage the grid spacing in surface properties, but the values are non-editable.

I have scoured Autodesk forums, and other on-line forums, but have found nothing.  Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

Civil3D 2011 64bit Win7

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ces
Advocate
in reply to: JMcCoskey

I am wondering the same thing...

Message 3 of 5
jmayo-EE
in reply to: ces

No. Not directly from the surface definition or properties. The properties dialog may tease you but it doesn't work.

If anyone has a workaround I am all ears...

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 5

guessing this never got resolved 😞

Message 5 of 5
TerryDotson
in reply to: JMcCoskey

Regardless of the software, you can't simply change grid spacing.  For a more dense scenario, software would have to interpret new elevation values at the new cell nodes.  These values would be calculated along the slope of the previous nodes anyway and you really haven't gained anything.

On the case of weeding (or less dense), if calculation speed or memory is suffering, a tool could halve the values, discarding every other node.  Keep in mind that a grid surface is already likely a derivative of a TinSurface (from Lidar?).  A resized grid would be a derivate of that, and the more you get away from the source, the less you could trust the data.

I say there is a good reason why this doesn't exist and don't consider it a problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report