AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
randyspear6624
Message 1 of 5 (205 Views)
Accepted Solution

Grading off corridors?

205 Views, 4 Replies
02-24-2014 07:19 AM

Is it a no-no to create grading off  a corridor auto-feature line? I have a land developlment project and I've done just that. It is now a week overdue and my grading design file will not open. Even after cleaning up the scales for the entire project and recovering the file... it just hangs at "updating grading left side".

If this is the proper practice (which makes sense to me) then this may be my last project in Civil 3D. We can't continue to get corrupt files late in the design process.

Distinguished Mentor
castled071049
Message 2 of 5 (200 Views)

Re: Grading off corridors?

02-24-2014 07:52 AM in reply to: randyspear6624

It is perfectly acceptable to use dynamic feature lines from corrifors in grading objects. The problem seems to be the inherent unstableness of grading objects with older versions of C3D. We almost always exploded them and used the resulting 3D polylines to create feature lines, which were then added to the surface. This eliminated the unstableness, but of course eliminated the dynamic qualitities of the grading object as well. But it was very stable, anyway. 

My experience with version 2014 is that grading objects from corridor feature lines works much better, but I still explode the darned things, mostly from bad experiences in earlier versions. 

*Expert Elite*
TRogers
Message 3 of 5 (181 Views)

02-24-2014 08:44 AM in reply to: randyspear6624

Did you actually use the command to Create Feature Line from Corridor?  This will make a difference.

If the issue was resolved by this method, please click on "Accept As Solution"
*Civil 3DJ*
Todd Rogers

Visit my blog here.

Valued Mentor
owenmull
Message 4 of 5 (177 Views)

02-24-2014 08:59 AM in reply to: randyspear6624

randyspear6624 wrote:

Is it a no-no to create grading off  a corridor auto-feature line? I have a land developlment project and I've done just that. It is now a week overdue and my grading design file will not open. Even after cleaning up the scales for the entire project and recovering the file... it just hangs at "updating grading left side".

If this is the proper practice (which makes sense to me) then this may be my last project in Civil 3D. We can't continue to get corrupt files late in the design process.

This depends on what version you are doing, and sometimes how big the corridor itself is. I know when I used to do that in C3D 2010, weird things would occasionally happen, ie disappearing featurelines, deleted gradings, etc. 

They improved this functionality in C3D 2012 quite a bit. I haven't had to use it much in 2013 at all, but I imagine it's only getting better.

There could be a number of things causing your issues completely unrelated to the corridor/grading.

I would open the last-known good version of that file, recreate your gradings and such, and then clean up the drawing, via purge and audit. Try that and post back if no luck.

HTH

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit
NVidia Quadro K3000M Dual Monitor
32.0 GB RAM
Intel Core i7-3820QM @ 2.70 GHz
Civil 3D 2013 SP 2
Message 5 of 5 (164 Views)

02-24-2014 09:24 AM in reply to: castled071049
Thanks, although I was hoping that wasn't the answer.
I'm using 2012 and I said the same thing when we upgraded to it a few years back.
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.