Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grading off corridors?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
randyspear6624
1065 Views, 4 Replies

Grading off corridors?

Is it a no-no to create grading off  a corridor auto-feature line? I have a land developlment project and I've done just that. It is now a week overdue and my grading design file will not open. Even after cleaning up the scales for the entire project and recovering the file... it just hangs at "updating grading left side".

If this is the proper practice (which makes sense to me) then this may be my last project in Civil 3D. We can't continue to get corrupt files late in the design process.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

It is perfectly acceptable to use dynamic feature lines from corrifors in grading objects. The problem seems to be the inherent unstableness of grading objects with older versions of C3D. We almost always exploded them and used the resulting 3D polylines to create feature lines, which were then added to the surface. This eliminated the unstableness, but of course eliminated the dynamic qualitities of the grading object as well. But it was very stable, anyway. 

My experience with version 2014 is that grading objects from corridor feature lines works much better, but I still explode the darned things, mostly from bad experiences in earlier versions. 

Message 3 of 5

Did you actually use the command to Create Feature Line from Corridor?  This will make a difference.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 4 of 5
owenmull
in reply to: randyspear6624

@randyspear6624 wrote:

Is it a no-no to create grading off  a corridor auto-feature line? I have a land developlment project and I've done just that. It is now a week overdue and my grading design file will not open. Even after cleaning up the scales for the entire project and recovering the file... it just hangs at "updating grading left side".

If this is the proper practice (which makes sense to me) then this may be my last project in Civil 3D. We can't continue to get corrupt files late in the design process.

This depends on what version you are doing, and sometimes how big the corridor itself is. I know when I used to do that in C3D 2010, weird things would occasionally happen, ie disappearing featurelines, deleted gradings, etc. 

They improved this functionality in C3D 2012 quite a bit. I haven't had to use it much in 2013 at all, but I imagine it's only getting better.

There could be a number of things causing your issues completely unrelated to the corridor/grading.

I would open the last-known good version of that file, recreate your gradings and such, and then clean up the drawing, via purge and audit. Try that and post back if no luck.

HTH

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017

Thanks, although I was hoping that wasn't the answer.
I'm using 2012 and I said the same thing when we upgraded to it a few years back.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report