Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grading multi-level platforms

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Andy64
3382 Views, 10 Replies

Grading multi-level platforms

I am pretty new to the Civil 3D scene, and am having some trouble with grading a very steep site. What I have is a series of complex multi-level building platforms that I am trying to get grading volumes for. They are all cut fairly deeply into the steep hillside (i.e. no fill to speak of). I have created a grading criteria for a steep cut, but it sometimes just fails to perform the grading, without any explanation.

Also, because some of my platforms share a boundary with another platform which may be 2 or 3 metres higher, how do I get both platforms to stay flat - as soon as the grading package detects a common boundary, it only seems to allow one elevation along that boundary, regardless of whether there are two separate objects at different levels.
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
noor.azhar
in reply to: Andy64

YES. I would also like to know how to do grading for STEEP slopes SHARING boundary side-by-side for each platform. This is common engineering task for residential of terrace housing. Attached is a simple image of what it is supposed to be. But this image DOES NOT involve grading feature at all.
Message 3 of 11
C3D_RickGraham

Like LDT, you cannot have vertical surfaces, so you muust offset the slopes
by some minute amount (I use .001). I would start with one feature polyline
at 135 .00 elevation and then use the stepped offset to get the new
elevation and build like that.

Rick

wrote in message news:5782994@discussion.autodesk.com...
YES. I would also like to know how to do grading for STEEP slopes SHARING
boundary side-by-side for each platform. This is common engineering task for
residential of terrace housing. Attached is a simple image of what it is
supposed to be. But this image DOES NOT involve grading feature at all.
Thanks,
Rick
coauthor Mastering Civil 3D 2012
I blog at http://simplycivil3d.wordpress.com
Message 4 of 11
noor.azhar

Do you mind to list out the steps one-by-one. I'm kind of bad in performing the grading tools.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

E Z start:

In your dropdown menu under Grading select the first menu "Create Grading".

You have the Grading Creation Tools.
Start at the top left icon and work to the right. Do not forget to practice
on something that you can afford to lose. Work all the way through it and
it will begin to make sense.

Bill

wrote in message news:5783836@discussion.autodesk.com...
Do you mind to list out the steps one-by-one. I'm kind of bad in performing
the grading tools.
Message 6 of 11
noor.azhar

Errr... i mean the steps to perform the stair grading. Not to use the grading tools. I totally understand how "Grading Creation Tools" works. But to do the stair grading using this tools (with feature lines manipulation) is not as straight forward as making a pond or single platform.
Message 7 of 11
noor.azhar

UPDATE: Managed to do the stair grading as attach. But I never use the Feature Lines "Stepped Offset" command.
Message 8 of 11
jasper_laguerta

Hello, noor azhar. Do you mind sharing the steps how you created the stair grading. I have a similar case on my project. I'm pretty new to civil 3d and been stucked for weeks on this one.

Best Regards,
Jasper
Message 9 of 11
HorizontalCurveGuy

If the FL are in the same site you cannot have two different z values for a common xy. You need to keep the common edge separated by a small amount.

If I am interperting your needs correctly. The cut slope you are trying to achieve is around the perimetrer, and the plattform are very close with 3-4 meter vertical separation; the grading fails because it find itself daylighting on itself.

Message 10 of 11

1. set the platform elevations (separate) the adjacent edges by a small amount in a common site

2 . infill the platforms

3. perform the daylight grading for 3 sides of each platform stopping short of the common edge.

4. add FL connecting the adjacent daylight lines

5. exrtact intermediate elevations from EG for the FL in step 4

I

Message 11 of 11

Thank you very much...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report