Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grading at a slope to a varied offset?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
t_mckenzie
4462 Views, 10 Replies

Grading at a slope to a varied offset?

I did a quick search and couldn't find a thread that answered this, but if anyone knows of one feel free to send me the link.

I am trying to grade up to the base of a retaining wall that is at a variable distance from my known breakline at a certain slope (i.e. 3:1). I know I can set a feature at the base of the wall and "manually" use a reference point and set the slope to 3:1, but I was looking for a more efficient way of doing this? Does anyone know if there is something available?

I am in C3D '09 right now, but we are in the process of upgrading to '14 (YAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!). Maybe (fingers crossed) this is in the updated version.

Thanks in advance for any help,

-Tucker

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
troma
in reply to: t_mckenzie

Two options come to mind:

1. Use a corridor and target a polyline at the base of the wall at 3:1

2. Grade at 3:1 to the furthest distance you need, i.e. beyond your needs.  Use the grading to create a surface. Then put a feature line at the bottom of the wall, and get 'elevations from surface' from your grading surface.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 11
t_mckenzie
in reply to: troma

Thanks for the reply. The corridor is not an option due to lack of efficiency. I have used the "grade beyond" method for commercial concepts, and it would definitely work for this. Again, I just don't know that it would be as efficient as I would like.

I guess this should be more of a "wish." I wish there was a parameter in grading objects that would do this.

Thanks,

-Tucker

Message 4 of 11
Joe-Bouza

Over grade in you most comfortable way (as a temporary condition) then extract the elevation on your varied offset line, remove the over grade and add the varied offset line to the surface

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
t_mckenzie
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

This is technically the answer I was looking for, but not the one I was hoping for. In order to "over grade" I have to create a temp site and a temp surface. Albeit only once, it's still a bit of a pain in a residential setting. I need to move this to the wish forum because I wish there was a grading object that would allow me to specifiy the slope and select a target to grade to.

Thanks for your input,

-Tucker

Message 6 of 11
fcernst

There is no need to implement the overgrade and extract elevations workarounds for this. You can use the command below. 

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 7 of 11
t_mckenzie
in reply to: fcernst

Yes, you can do it this way, but don't you have to do each vertex one at a time? If it is the command I am thinking of, you do (I've done this, and it's not fun). This would not be efficient. It seems like the base for the code is there, just need to add the target for a distance.

Thanks,

-Tucker

Message 8 of 11
fcernst

but don't you have to do each vertex one at a time?

Nope, all one shot.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 9 of 11
t_mckenzie

Man, I wish I knew about this two years ago. Would have saved a LOT of time. Thanks!

And that's why I love ADesk Discussion Boards.

-Tucker
Message 10 of 11
troma

Nice solution Fred. That's why I love coming here too.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 11 of 11
rmkaack-jvb

tried the command, but couldn't get the results.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report