Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grading Small Lots - Best Practice Suggestions?

47 REPLIES 47
Message 1 of 48
mikeshick
3812 Views, 47 Replies

Grading Small Lots - Best Practice Suggestions?

Most of my grading projects involve single family residence and usually nothing too complicated.  However, due to the nature of custom lots, I generally find myself grading with mostly feature lines, gradings, and generally a corridor for most of the driveway.  I'm curious if others have any suggestions for this type of project.  I've attaced mine for a sample.  Would love to hear your ideas.

Maybe this should be a seperate post, but I've also got a question about possibly superelevations.  Generally my driveways consist of have a single cross slope, but sometime I need to converge drainage in the middle or change cross slope the opposite directions.  What's the best way to accomplish this, and provide transition between these cross slope changes?  Is superelevation tool the key?

If you take a look, I may benifit using the layer state manager for alternating between my design setup.

Here is the link for the DWG.

Thanks.

Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us
47 REPLIES 47
Message 41 of 48
Neilw_05
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe, rather than going back and forth, could you please explain to me how you create a mitered corner using gradings working from edge of pavement to back of sidewalk? I do not know how you are doing it.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 42 of 48
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Neilw_05

Ok. I made a feature line of the eop and applied a grading to the driveway with relative elevation criterior of 6 inch, the driveway throat of .125. Continued after the dw with relative 6 inch, went back and added transitions for the flares. Then applied to the tc a dist criterior of 3.5 at 2% stop at dw a continue on the left leg to the limit of the back of walk. Then another grading on the tc of the right leg starting at the limit of the back of walk. Then applied another dist to back of walk  in the same manner. Add an infill at the miter corner, and two fl across the dw add infill. (these fl will react to any change in the previous grading.

The trick to gradings is not the try and do it all with one, hence the name grading group.

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 43 of 48
Neilw_05

That is basically what I thought you did. I think you misunderstood my original comment which was that you can't make mitered corners with gradings. I should have been more specific that it can't be done with projection gradings at convex miters which is an unavoidable occurance in site design. Yes you can do them with featurelines and infills as a workaround but they will not be dynamic to changes in the design.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 44 of 48
Joe-Bouza

Neil, everything about that grading is dynamic the added fl are tied to the grading if the grading changes the fl changes and the infill changes. And do miters need more than one grading, yes. But if you expect to have one grading do it all for you it aint never gonna happen. There is no easy button Smiley Wink

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 45 of 48
Neilw_05

Something is not making sense to me. Would you be able to post a sample file so I can evaluate it? I have 2012 so I should be able to open anything you send.

Thanks

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 46 of 48
Joe-Bouza

Should be able to tomorrow. While I'm at it, send me your sample and grading criterior.

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 47 of 48
Neilw_05

Here is a sample in 2010 format.

I'll be watching for yours Joe.

Thanks

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 48 of 48
Joe-Bouza

Neil,

I'll get to that but I'm a tad under the gun right now. Also, can you email me your sample? Our FW wont let me DL dwg from the DG.

jbouza<at>cameronengineering<dot><com>

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report