Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grading Issue / Autodesk Help

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
martin888888
473 Views, 18 Replies

Grading Issue / Autodesk Help

I have posted before about the deficiencies of using Gradings in Civil 3d and by the responses I recieved it was obvious there were problems with the program.  Does anyone know if there is a way to contact Autodesk directly about these issues?  The productivity we are losing is insane.  Jsut today I have spent 15hrs grading a 2 acre site becuase the grading keep becoming corrupt.

Thanks

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
wfberry
in reply to: martin888888

Perhaps your definition of grading needs to be addressed.  Are you referring to using a Grading Object?  I rarely use Grading Objects for what it is worth.

Bill

Windows 7 x 64 Professional
Nvidia GeForce 9800 & 8500
12 GB Ram
i7 965 @ 3.20 GHz
Corsair Force 240 GB SSD
Infrastructure Suite 2014 Premium SP1
IDSP 2015

Message 3 of 19
Joe-Bouza

Have you tried a service request? SR
be prepared to give a more detailed explanation of your challenge then your post.

Hard to tell what's going on in your work flow?
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 4 of 19
martin888888
in reply to: wfberry

yes, i am using grading objects.  How do you establish your top and bottom of slope without using them? 

I have had all kinds of issues using them.  Drawnigs becoming consistantly corrupt, we will create a grading and then a different grading in the same site will disapear from another part of the site, the grading wont grade to a surface properly, unable to turn on contours in a surface, etc, etc, etc.

Message 5 of 19
martin888888
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Is there a way to submit a service request?  I guess that is my question.

My work flow is using grading objects to establish a surface.  As mentioned in my previous post, the problems are many

Message 6 of 19
martin888888

First off thank for the responses.  This issue has become frustrating to say the least and causing a lot of late nigths and uneccessary redo of work.  Justs yesterday it caused us to miss a deadline and the additon of important report figures in a multi million dollare project.

Attached is an pdf of what I have already ran into this morning.  If this was the only issue I could live with it.  Just creating a simple pond with gradings.  The grading does not represent the slope and berm correctly.  We are trying to create a nice 3D model of the pond area and are unable to do so with the inaccuracies of the gradings.  Like I said, if this was the only issue I could work through this one.

Message 7 of 19
Pointdump

Martin,

Grading works well for simple stuff like building pads, but it's buggy for anything more complex. Have you tried using a corridor to grade those ponds?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 8 of 19
martin888888
in reply to: Pointdump

no, never tried using corridors for anything other then roadways.  One way around the problem I found is to explode the grading and then just use the feature lines in a surface.  But even then the grading does not create the catch lines correctly.

Message 9 of 19
wfberry

Martin:

A few years ago after searching for a Civil 3D routine to grade a Feature Line to a surface, I asked Jeff and Sync if they could come up with one for SincPac.  It took about 2 days and now we (they) have it.  It seemed like something that should have been included (Civil 3D) in the first place.  For those that cannot bear to pay a few dollars to get something that works, how much is your wasted time worth?

Bill

Windows 7 x 64 Professional
Nvidia GeForce 9800 & 8500
12 GB Ram
i7 965 @ 3.20 GHz
Corsair Force 240 GB SSD
Infrastructure Suite 2014 Premium SP1
IDSP 2015

Message 10 of 19
Jeff_M

Martin, this is the command Bill is refering to: SPQuickDaylight

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 11 of 19
martin888888

thanks, so it sounds like that routine does the same thing as "grading to a surface" with gradings?  I will get SincPac. 

Jsut need to find a solution to this, I have estimated I have spent 200+hrs this year in wasted time due to this grading issues.

Message 12 of 19
mathewkol

I didn't notice any reply to your question "Can I contact Autodesk directly". Yes you can. If you're on subscription you can log into the subscription center and create a support request. Or you can pay for support and you can create a support request that way.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 13 of 19
Joe-Bouza

If you are on subscription, or if you purchased support with your product you can go to the subscription center and log in a SR

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 14 of 19
Joe-Bouza

add elevaton points to the FL you are grading from to create the berm
also you might play with the tessalation and angle in the grading properties.

Grading are known to be persnickity, many folks 'round these parts don't leave projection grading live in a drawing - you might consider using the PG to establis the top and toe move the resulting FL to another site and add it to your surface data. Its all about work flow and I dont think anyone has a magic bullet yet.
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 15 of 19
hockey_hound

"For those that cannot bear to pay a few dollars to get something that works, how much is your wasted time worth?"

SMH-- When you pay for the software, why should you continue having to shell out more money for an add-on fix a modual that is a main componet? Someone in this thread mentioned that grading will work for a simple pad but not for a complex site.  Why include grading in the software if it isn't working correctly and/or will never get fixed? Seems chaotic to me.

Message 16 of 19
martin888888
in reply to: hockey_hound

Exactly!!  This program has been around for 7-8 years now and this is a very important design parmeter function of the program.  By the comments it is obvious that the thing doesnt work.

Message 17 of 19
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: hockey_hound

I maintain that the grading tools do work. User work flows have to adapt.
Load up a drawing with crossing FL, projections that have no target, and dirty line work, and you are destined for the bit bucket
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 18 of 19
kcobabe

In order to get something that you are use to seeing in LDD, InRoads, etc..  You really need to use a combination of items in C3D.

First of course would be creating your feature lines.

After feature lines are create and you need daylight projection, as stated, copy the feature line to a dumby site and then back into the project site.  I keep it in the pojrect site so I can tell when something has gone horribly wrong.

Would say that you are done at this point.  Well for most civil engineers you would, but if you just so happen to work for an old school engineer it will not be.  You will need to go through one more step in drawing some contours in so you can smooth out the jagged mess that C3D loves to create.

Sounds like a lot of work, but once you get use to it, it actually takes ther same amount of time as if you were using any other tool in C3D.

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
V8i - V8i SS4 Microstation
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 19 of 19
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: kcobabe

.."You really need to use a combination of items in C3D"...

I cant speak for inroads but that has always been the case.

If someone can grade a 5 acre site using 1 tool, bless their hearts.

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report