Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grading Intersection with Square Corners

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
BWYarger
927 Views, 5 Replies

Grading Intersection with Square Corners

I have a sidewalk crossing a path and I am using corridors to model them.  They have square corners.  They just square up to each other, sort of... more like 89 degrees.  I am considering how to model the intersection.  My first thought was to have one go through and bring the crossing path up to the edges.  The problem becomes how to grade in the corners.  I am thinking about a curved feature line offset from the edges and then grading from it to the paths, and to daylight on the other side.  Has any one done this before?  Any other suggestions on how to approach the problem?

Brad
LT, C3D 2005 - 2024
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 10, 11
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Neilw_05
in reply to: BWYarger

You can use gradings as you are considering or you can certainly use the intersection wizard. It is not just useful for roads. If you have more than one such intersection it might justify the extra work to use the wizard. It also would make the intersection dynamic to changes in the horizontal and vertical design.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 3 of 6
BWYarger
in reply to: Neilw_05

I am not following you on the intersection wizard.   Don't I need to have curb returns with radii larger than the side slope grading or won't the grading overlap from the crossing corridors as it goes around a square corner?  My radii are zero.  I have several similar interseections, but they are not indentical.  I have seen the wizard demonstrated on webinars, but not use it before since I learned how before the wizard came out..

Brad
LT, C3D 2005 - 2024
Message 4 of 6
Neilw_05

In your original post you said you would create gradings with radii so I assume that is what you want. The wizard will create curb return alignments and use a specified cross slope from the centerline profiles of your sidewalks to establish the profiles around the radii.

There is one drawback I didn't think about which is the wizard will not carry the edges of the sidewalks to their points of intersection with each other. Instead your sidewalk will be warped around the fillets on whichever one you specify to be the secondary side of the intersection.

Sorry but the wizard is limited in that regard. While you could still use it, you'd still have to do some manual work to compensate for this limitation.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 5 of 6
BWYarger
in reply to: Neilw_05

I think I understand what you are saying; the curb return radius can be grass?  I was actually going to create the feature line offset from the two edges of pavement, but I guess I could call that a curb return even though it isn't an edge of a hard surface nor would it attach to the sidewalk/path.  That should work.  I typically have a uniform grading off the edge of the sidewalk or path for a few feet before I turn daylighting loose, so I could put that "curb return" round feature line at that distance off and let it grade the grass in the actual corner.  I won't use the wizard so I can have more control.  Thanks!

Brad
LT, C3D 2005 - 2024
Message 6 of 6
Neilw_05

If I understand your scenario correctly, you have a concrete sidewalk that crosses a path. In my mind a path is typically dirt or gravel. Is there any reason why it can't have fillets where it meets the sidewalk? It seems to me the easiest way to tackle the problem is to use the intersection wizard and let it warp the path where it meets the sidewalk. The sidewalk will have the crown maintained in the wizard options. If you can't allow the path to warp you can just extract featurelines from the corridors and use gradings and featurelines to blend the intersection.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report