Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grade to elevation OR Surface

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
doni49
1829 Views, 11 Replies

Grade to elevation OR Surface

I have a featureline that I've assigned to a grading object.  I have in the past used the Grade to Surface tool as well as Grade to Elevation.

But this case, I need to Grade to an elevation if I'm in cut or to my EG surface if I'm in Fill.

Is that possible?

EDIT:  I don't think I worded that correctly.  Here's a graphic that explains it better.

TargetElevation.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
jmayo-EE
in reply to: doni49

No auto way to do this wit a grading. I would think you could do a conditional assembly on a corridor.

With a grading I would quickly target the surface and place a pline marker at cut/fill transitions. Delete the surface grading and redo it in one condition do the other in the other. 😉

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
troma

Another idea would be to copy the target surface and edit it. Extract the contour at your target elevation, then delete all data above that elevation (or use the exclude option in the surface definition) and add the contours back in as breakline or contour data to the surface. Now you have one surface you can target.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 4 of 12
doni49
in reply to: troma

@troma wrote:
Another idea would be to copy the target surface and edit it. Extract the contour at your target elevation, then delete all data above that elevation (or use the exclude option in the surface definition) and add the contours back in as breakline or contour data to the surface. Now you have one surface you can target.

Thanks.  That worked with some tweaking.

I opened a new file and promoted my EG surface in (I've had trouble using the "exclude above elevation" option on a data ref'd surface).

Then I excluded everything above my target elevation.  Then I drew a HUGE polyline around the outside of my surface well beyond the featureline.  This polyline is also at the target elevation.  I added this polyline to the surface as a breakline.

Now I have a surface for my grading object to target the desired elevation OR go to the lower elevation.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 12
doni49
in reply to: troma

Hmmm.

Upon closer inspection, I found that after I added my target elevation, it went back and grabbed the nearest points (even though they were excluded).  But without adding the target elevation breakline, the grading object doesn't have anything to target if it's in one of those "above the target surface" elevation areas.

Don Ireland

Message 6 of 12
doni49

I can't use a corridor for this so sub-assemblies won't help.

Don Ireland

Message 7 of 12
troma

Did you extract the contours and add them into the edited surface? I think that would give it enough information to work with.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 8 of 12
doni49

Ok.  Instead of using the "exclude above elevation" option or using the contour as a boundary, I used the "Crop Surface tool to crop it at the desired contour shape.  Then I added my break line at the same elevation but beyond the feature line.

It worked out.

Thanks guys!

Don Ireland

Message 9 of 12
randcdavidson

Don sorry but not an answer/comment on your post but how do you get the image to attach to your message like that? I used to be able to do that but now must attach it as a file.

Message 10 of 12
doni49
in reply to: randcdavidson

@randcdavidson wrote:

Don sorry but not an answer/comment on your post but how do you get the image to attach to your message like that? I used to be able to do that but now must attach it as a file.

attachImage.png

Don Ireland

Message 11 of 12
randcdavidson

Ok I'll check that here

Funny.jpg

Message 12 of 12

Good day...I have a similar case... I have a one layer of retaining wall to be built. The span on which the retaining wall to be built has a varying elevations. I needed it to be excavated first and fill some other parts in order to have a leveled elevation that is common to the span of the retaining wall (I needed it to be constructed on a flat surface). My question is how can I compute the said cut and fill materials for this? What procedure will I used? Do I need to use the Grading Procedure for this and can you guide me accordingly? I'm just new in Civil 3D . Hope I can have an answer for this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report