Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grade to Surface at a fixed Distance

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
alderliesteng
610 Views, 12 Replies

Grade to Surface at a fixed Distance

When we created our fist C3D template in 2007 it was possible to make a grading criteria that targeted a surface at a fixed distance.  In other words, the slope was variable.  Looking at it again in 2013 it appears it's not possible to creat a criteria like that.  Am I missing something?   Or was that option removed? .....perhaps because it was too unstable?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: alderliesteng

I don't know about the criterior, but wouldn't that just be an offset FL with elevations extracted from EG?

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 13
alderliesteng
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Yes that would work except that the offset would not be dynamically linked to the first featureline.

Message 4 of 13
Joe-Bouza

thats correct. I like to use FL from alignments with offset alignments to serve that purpose

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 13
Neilw_05

There has never been a criteria like that. Aside from Joe's suggestion you'd have to use alignments and profiles.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 6 of 13
alderliesteng
in reply to: Neilw_05

I'm quite certain it used to exist.  I remember creating it in v2006.  It's still in our old template.  I just can't recreate in 2013.

I know there are other methods to achieve the same thing.  A corridor will do it for example.  I'm just checking that it was in fact removed and that I'm not missing something.

Thanks for your help.

Message 7 of 13
BrianHailey

It's not there in 2007 that's for sure. I installed C3D 2007 just to check:

LINK TO VIDEO

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 8 of 13
alderliesteng
in reply to: BrianHailey

Attached is a file with the criteria "To Surface at Uniform Distance (Variable Slope).

Message 9 of 13
Neilw_05

Well that sure proves me wong. Back then C3D was more of a preview than a useable app. so that's all I did with it. Apparently that functionality was not carried forward after 2006.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 10 of 13
BrianHailey

I'll see if I can find a 2006 version in the office somewhere and check it on Monday. It's definitely not in 2007 though.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 11 of 13
alderliesteng
in reply to: Neilw_05

Thanks for your collective help gentlemen.  Sounds like I'm not missing something - that option just isn't there anymore.  I can see how a criteria like that could result in some very abrupt transitions which in turn could contribute to instability.  Grading objects were extremely unstable in the early years so I'm not surprised they would remove an option that perhaps was one of the causes.

Message 12 of 13
jmayo-EE

It was in the demo, 05 and 06. You had to choose a Surface target and the projection options were Cut/Fill, Cut, Fill and Distance. Not that this helps get it back...

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 13 of 13
jmayo-EE

If your looking for a dynamic solution and IF you have an alignment along this edge a simple LinkWidthAndSlope from a surface profile is very easy to create and manage in the work. If you are working with FLines only I would just use the stepped offset as the other good folks have mentioned.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report