Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Earth import for Civil 3D 2014

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
rkmcswain
25613 Views, 10 Replies

Since this was a pretty active topic a while back, I thought I would make a post on a potential solution

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: rkmcswain

Almost as good as the original version, pity it's not OTB.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 3 of 11

Funny, I never see anyone mention the legal ramifications of using regular (not commercial/pro) version of Google Earth for imagery. Know of a few firms that have been hit with big bucks penalities for using plain GE for work instead of commercial version.

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 4 of 11

I would hope that a commercial product would include a license agreement with Google. I imagine that is why it costs $400 for a program that only has a couple of offset tools along with the Google import.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 11

Since GE Pro is $399 (for 1-10 licenses) I would check before I hoped.

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 6 of 11
cwitzel
in reply to: rkmcswain

GE Pro does more than just offsets.  It has Parcel data for most of the United States (Don't know outside the US).  It also allows for more video export options (I can't remember if regular GE allows video exporting at all.)

We use Pro all the time.  It makes finding owner information ten times faster than before.  I bet we make back our $400 in a couple of weeks.

It also has cenus and traffic counts, although we don't use those as much.

Sometimes when I am home, I wish I had the pro version for something quick.

My two cents,

Conan Witzel

Thanks,
Conan Witzel
Civil 3d 2021 SP1.1
Smoking BOXX Apex 2 Workstation
Message 7 of 11
csevers
in reply to: cwitzel

Can you explain how you can get parcel data from google earth into Civil3D? I frequently have a hard time getting ahold of raw gis parcel data from rural counties. Is there some way if I have a .kmz boundary, I can clip the parcels within it and export to some sort of file that can be imported to civil3D? 

Chris Severs, PE
Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64 bit
64.0 GB RAM
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 @ 2.30GHz
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
Message 8 of 11
rl_jackson
in reply to: csevers

I would say you would be best to contact the particular county to obtain there shape files. I have done this on numerous occasions for wetlands and fema data that was unavailable at the time. A simple call and usually by the end of the day I had the information I had requested in an email. So counties offer there datasets as a freely downloadable item and some require a fee.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
csevers
in reply to: rl_jackson

Dude, you didn't read my question. I am specifically looking for a way to avoid dealing with the county. You've had much better luck than me if you get a response by the end of the day. BTW I'm talking rural Wyoming, Montana, N. Dakota, etc. Most of the counties I am dealing with don't have a website. 

Chris Severs, PE
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
Message 10 of 11
Pointdump
in reply to: csevers

Chris,

No more parcels on Google Earth after Jan. 29, 2016 :
https://productforums.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!category-topic/maps/k3szta49co0

RL's advice is good. Make a few phone calls. And every day more and more GIS sites spring up.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 11 of 11
csevers
in reply to: Pointdump

I wasn't saying it was bad advice. It's just not applicable to my question. Basically, you've said, "just do it the same way you've always been doing it."

Chris Severs, PE
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report