Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Earth Problem

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
tahoe-civil3d
2739 Views, 10 Replies

Google Earth Problem

I know that inserting a Google Earth Image that is Georeferenced is a basic task, but I am having problems doin this and cannot find anyone else who has had this problem.

Using Civil3d2012, I have set the proper Units and Zone, in my case UTM Nad 27, Zone 15. 

THe problem I get when importing a Google Earth Image is that I only get one option to insert the image at 0,0.  From what  am gathering from other posts is there should be an option to input the image to the drawing coordinate system.  But I do not get that option.

So what am I doing wrong?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

When I have Google Earth open to the area I want to import and go to theImport panel of the Insert ribbon and select Google Earth > Google Earth Image and Surface I get the following command line prompts when I have a coordinate system set under the drawing settings: 

Command: _AeccCreateImportGEData
DWG Coordinate System: UTM with NAD83 datum, Zone 18, US Foot; Central Meridian
75d W
Use coordinate system for image location or [Identify] <coordinate system>:

When I set the Drawing Settings to No Datum, No Projection under the Units and Zones tab of the Drawing Settings dialog (right click the drawing name in the Toolspace Settings to get to Drawing Settings), I get the following command line prompts:

Command: _AeccCreateImportGEData
Specify insertion point <0,0>:
Specify rotation angle <0>:

Are you sure that you have a coordinate system properly assigned in Drawing Settings? If so hopefully some others have some advise. 

Kati Mercier, P.E. | LinkedIn | AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Pronouns: She/Her
Co-author of "Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013"
AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2017 Speaker::: CI125544: Analyze and Devise in Subassembly Composer
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Message 3 of 11

Yes I am sure I have the proper coordinate system set.  When I open drawing in Civil 3d 2011, it works!

Message 4 of 11
thepworth
in reply to: tahoe-civil3d

did the 2012 install miss installing the coordinate system library?  seem to recall some form of issue on that, but haven't been tracking 2012 yet since we're still on 2011 here...

Message 5 of 11
terryg

I am having the same issue with the same results and our tech support company also has the same problem. We are using the Canada NB NAD83 Stereographic projection.

Message 6 of 11
wfberry
in reply to: terryg

This is the only way that I have used Google Earth.  I survey a tract using State Plane Coordinates, then to get a Google Earth image I use the Publish to Google Earth command and follow the Wizard, etc and select my drawing boundary.

Then I get a Google Earth image in my Browser and can Insert an image or the surface into my drawing.  It jumps right in place.

Bill

Message 7 of 11
dorkyfreak

I know this is an old post, but has anyone figured out the solution to why google image doesn't paste in the right coordinates? I have the same issue where autocad only ask to insert at 0,0 or manually type in the coordinates. I remember having no issues in 2011. 

Message 8 of 11
antoniovinci
in reply to: dorkyfreak

dorkyfreak wrote:

I have the same issue where autocad only ask to insert at 0,0 or manually type in the coordinates. 

What happens if you issue the _ADESETCRDSYS command?

In order to _IMPORTGEIMAGE to get working, the blinking field can NOT be empty!!

Message 9 of 11
dorkyfreak
in reply to: antoniovinci

I typed in the command and it is not blank. I first set up the drawing with zone categories: USA, California and coordinates systems NAD83 California sAte Planes, zone III, US foot. I chose this to match with the topo coordinates systems. With that setting, importing google earth image still asked for 0,0 or manually typing the coordinates. So I also tried setting it to UTM, NAD83 Datum with Zone 10, US Foot. I still have the same problem. 

Message 10 of 11

I use Google Earth all the time in Civil 3D 2012. To tahoe-civil3d and dorkyfreak it appears that you both are doing the correct steps i.e. assigning your coordinate system prior to importing the google earth image. What I do to insert the image is:

1) Commandline: IMPORTGEIMAGE (or from ribbon - Insert - Google Earth - Google Earth Image

2) If you set the coordinate system, you should get the following message: DWG Coordinate System: NAD83 New Mexico State Planes, Central Zone, US Foot (my coordinate system)
Use coordinate system for image location or [Identify] <coordinate system>:

3) Enter

It appears that you may have to run a repair or reinstall on your AutoCAD like thepworth suggested.

Civil 3D 2016 SP4
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50 GHz
40GB RAM
64-Bit
Window 7 Professional
Message 11 of 11
dorkyfreak
in reply to: jamesmac1200

Yup. Reinstalling solved the problem. Thanks jamesmac1200 and thepworth

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report