Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Ghost' sections on Corridor cross sections

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
MKWeb
879 Views, 24 Replies

'Ghost' sections on Corridor cross sections

I have a railway corridor with multiple baselines and regions and for some reason, I am getting 'ghost' sections showing up in various section views. Not every section within any range of stations, but intermittently. Labels are being inserted (incorrectly) but there is no ryhme or reason since the section that is showing as the 'ghost' shouldn't be there in the first place.

These have been created using C3D 2012 by a novice user (who had created alignments with similar names in different sites eg Site 1 may have an alignment named DITCH A-B-C and Site 2 would have an alignment named Ditch A-B-C) but the alignments are not the same.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sta250.jpg

Mark 'MKWeb' Hultgren
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
doni49
in reply to: MKWeb

Lets start with some basic troubleshooting.

1. If you open this dwg on another computer, do you see the ghost?
  2. If someone else (under a different login name) opens this file on your PC, do they see the ghost?
  3. Take note of which sections have a ghost.  Do those same sections ALWAYS have the ghost?  Or does the ghost bounce around to different sections?
  4. If it's always the same sections, look to see what's different about these sections.  Is there ANYTHING at all that these sections have or are missing that makes them different from the ones that don't have a ghost?

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 25
MKWeb
in reply to: doni49

yes, the sections are created in the drawing and it doesn't matter which
system you open the drawing on. They are showing in the same sections from
system to system. The thing is, they don't show on ALL sections or all
sections within a certain range. Just here and there arbitrarily
Mark 'MKWeb' Hultgren
Message 4 of 25
doni49

@Anonymous wrote:
yes, the sections are created in the drawing and it doesn't matter which
system you open the drawing on. They are showing in the same sections from
system to system. The thing is, they don't show on ALL sections or all
sections within a certain range. Just here and there arbitrarily

Ok.  But once you see it on certain stations, can you close the file and reliably re-open the file and those same sections have ghosts?  Or upon re-opening are you likely to see the ghosts on OTHER sections instead of these?

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 25
MKWeb

Doni,

No, the ghosts don't move. They are always in the same sections (even on separate machines) and they have the labels too (although misplaced as shown in the image) and there is nothing different from a section with the ghost and the others. They were all created at the same time using the "Create Multiple Section Views' option and our standard settings and styles.

Mark 'MKWeb' Hultgren
Message 6 of 25
doni49

Can you post the dwg file?

Don Ireland

Message 7 of 25
MKWeb

it is too big. ~10 meg

Mark 'MKWeb' Hultgren
Message 8 of 25
MKWeb

drawing itself is close to 30 meg so purged and zipped with no xrefs still comes in at 9.8Meg

Mark 'MKWeb' Hultgren
Message 9 of 25
Jeff_M

For large files use Autodesk360 or Dropbox and share the link to it.
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 10 of 25
MKWeb

Sent you a PM with the dropbox link

Mark 'MKWeb' Hultgren
Message 11 of 25
sboon

Check the properties of one of the section views that is showing extra data - specifically the Sections tab.  You may find 'extra' copies of your corridor sections listed there.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 12 of 25
MKWeb
in reply to: sboon

I just checked and there are no 'extra' data sets in the section views with the ghosts. The OP just told me when she copied the file and then exploded one of the sections, then she got a listing of Track B and Track B(1) for the data in the section view.

Mark 'MKWeb' Hultgren
Message 13 of 25
MKWeb
in reply to: Jeff_M

here is the dropbox link if you want to look at the file.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60944797/6191%20EDF%20-%20Standard.zip

It is ~10 meg zipped and close to 30 unzipped.

Moved the file to the public folder

Mark 'MKWeb' Hultgren
Message 14 of 25
doni49

I suspect that you have some data references that aren't included because when I open your file, not only do I not see any ghost sections, I don't see any proposed corridor sections.

The only thing I DO see is existing surface, section grid and what I'm guessing are exploded labels.

Don Ireland

Message 15 of 25
MKWeb

The ghosts are showing ONLY in the Track B portion of the corridor for anyone looking to download the file and take a closer look at it.

Mark 'MKWeb' Hultgren
Message 16 of 25
MKWeb

I am uploading the complete package with data shortcuts and xrefs to the same location.

(Give it about five minutes to get uploaded)

Like I said, I didn't create this, just trying to figure out what the OP did to create the issue.

And I REALLY appreciate the help from everyone here 😉

Mark 'MKWeb' Hultgren
Message 17 of 25
Jeff_M

Don, rebuild the corridors and the sections show up.

MK, there are 2 corridors showing because that is what is designed. There are 2 baselines overlapping and the sections are picking up both of the baselines. In this image you can see that I have selected the Track A Top corridor, which includes the Track B baseline (among others). Look at station 2+50 here and then compare to the Sectionview for the same station. Look at the subsequent stations and you will see that the 2 sections are separating, just as shown in plan.

To avoid this, place the Baselines in different corridors. Although I would think you'd want to see this, albeit with those regions where the tracks converge edited to allow for the convergence.

3-17-2014 11-50-22 AM.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 18 of 25
doni49

Man Surprised

Wow!  That's busy!

Don Ireland

Message 19 of 25
MKWeb

Yes, this is actually five new spurs and two new lines in a junction site
Mark 'MKWeb' Hultgren
Message 20 of 25
MKWeb

Yep, there are five spurs, two new main lines and the existing line along with multiple dich options in the same design, hence the size of the file and the use of Data Shortcuts.

Mark 'MKWeb' Hultgren

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report