Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generic Link Slope Doesn't follow Inputted Value

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
hwally
591 Views, 9 Replies

Generic Link Slope Doesn't follow Inputted Value

I have gotten lots of help reading this forum about generic links and how they don't always perform in the same in layout mode as in the corridor but this is baffling me.

I built a generic link with a slope of 3% as shown below.

t1.png

However in the Corridor it builds the link at 2%.

t2.png

Any Help would be appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
sboon
in reply to: hwally

Does this happen for all corridor sections or just this one.  Any corridor targets in use?  Any parameter overrides?

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 10
hwally
in reply to: sboon

This happens for all corridor sections. I completely rebuilt my corridor (again with generic links) and the same thing happend again.

There are corridor targets but only for the daylight link, not for these generic links.

There are no parameter overrides.

Message 4 of 10
doni49

Can you post your dwg file?  If it's too large to post, then make a copy of the file and delete EVERYTHING that's not required for the surface definition, profile, alignment, corridor and assembly.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 10
sboon
in reply to: doni49

Your subassembly settings show that you have it set to use the right outside lane superelevation slope.  If your alignment has superelevation then those values will override the default 3% setting.

Sorry - I should have looked a little closer at your screen shot yesterday.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 6 of 10
david.zavislan

Your posted image is kind of small on my computer, but it looks like you have the subassembly set to use the superelevation value of the outside lane.  Change it to "No" and it will then use the slope value that is entered in the properties.

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.
Message 7 of 10
hwally

Yes that was it. I turned off the use superelevation slope and it worked with my inputed value, thanks sboon.

I built an assembly out of generic links that has one slope for the Pave and Base links (2%) and a different slope for the Subbase and Subgrade links (3%). I was expecting the links to follow my inputed slope up to a curve and then at that point switch to start using the superelevation slope, but that is obviously not how it works.

Any ideas on how I could apply superelevation to start transitioning at 3% for two of my links and 2% for the other two links in the same corridor?

Message 8 of 10
sboon

The superelevation parameters include columns for inside and outside lanes plus inside and outside shoulders.  You can use almost any one of those with your generic link to insert the values you're looking for into the corridor.  Note - you probably cannot use the wizard to calculate them properly but you could enter your own values into the outside shoulder columns and use them for your subgrade slopes.

It looks like you're trying to solve the same issue that I often have with non-parallel subgrade slopes.  Instead of generic links I typically use one of the shoulder subs instead of a lane sub.  The screenshot below shows a corridor widening an existing highway in a superelevated curve.  The "lane" is actually ShoulderExtendAll with the sub-base superelevation option turned off.

Steve

Clipboard01.png

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 10
hwally

Yes I had that same idea with trying to input different values for the superelevation of inside and outside lanes for the different generic links and it worked! Although the issue now is to come up with a generic link that can act like the ShoulderExtendAll link. And i'm thinking that's probably not possible without dabbling into the SAC.

I can't use the ShoulderExtendAll subassembly for this project because I need both the TOP of subbase and the bottom of subbase (subgrade) to be sloped differently than Pave and Base and that subasseby only lets you change the very bottom layer's slope.

If anyone has any ideas on how to build a generic link that targets the sideslope subassembly I'd love to hear ideas.

Otherwise thanks for your help!

Message 10 of 10
sboon

It can be done using LinkSlopesBetweenPoints.  The problem with this solution is that you cannot control the link or shape codes.

Steve

Clipboard01.png

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report