Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Target Question

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
tmzcad
595 Views, 14 Replies

General Target Question

I am fairy new to Civil3D, 6 to 8 months, but have extensive knowledge of LDT 15 years. To this date, I still can not figure out why any of my subassemblies do not plot correctly in my sections. I have a brief understanding of the targeting scenerio for assemblies in Civil3D. If I use one of the typical assemblies from Autodesk, I have no problem. My problem is then I try to create my own assembly using the standards sub-assemblies none of the target points look correct.

The attached is an assembly with roadway overlays,curbs, roadside swales and sidewalks with sideslopes.

My basic questions is than, is it Mandatory to select target alignments and surface all every sub-assembly within the assembly.

My thought process was that I just had to pick a profile alignment for the center of the assembly and a target surface for the sideslopes. All the interior sub-assembly parts should float together based on the center profile as they used to with LDT templetes.QLH-ASSEMBLY 1.JPG

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
tcorey
in reply to: tmzcad

Hello,

No, it's not mandatory to select a target for every subassembly point that allows it. You only do that if your design requires it.

Example, LaneOutsideSuper is a travel lane. In the target parameters of the corridor this subassembly will be listed asking for width and elevation targets. If the width is constant, just set that width in the subassy properties and ignore the targeting info. If, however, the lane needs to transition in width, draw geometry that defines the transition and then specify it here.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 15
sboon
in reply to: tcorey

If you right-click on a subassembly icon in the tool palette and choose the help option it should take you directly to the reference document for that sub.  The help docs for the subassemblies almost always include a section on target parameters.

http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2012/ENU/filesCSH/GUID-5A0304D4-D167-4156-B9E1-337B8AA7332-55.htm

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 4 of 15
Jeff_M

It appears from your image that you are not creating the assmblies correctly. When you add a subassembly, be sure to select the point on the Assembly/previous subassembly to attach the subassembly to. Don't use Objectsnaps, select the point (normally shown as a circle) and then they will be linked as you expect.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 15
tmzcad
in reply to: Jeff_M

Jeff your correct. I have read this suggestion in other messages and have tried clearing the sub-assembly offset and and re-attaching the sub-assembly using the correct points. Still keep getting same result.

As per Steve's suggestion above, reviewing various individual sub-assembly properties it's seems some sub-assemblies do require a mandatory target feature, alignment or profile, or at least in Autodesk help language "you should have" this option when building the assembly. The sub-assembly I may having problem with in this particular assembly is "Urbanreplacmentwalk" which appears to requires an outside alignment for a target.

I was just trying to build a simple assembly that collectively moved in relation to the road's center profile.

Message 6 of 15
tmzcad
in reply to: sboon

Steve,

Thanks for the repsonse. Also, see my repsonse to Jeff below.

Looking at the image I posted, I have tried attaching the basic "ditch" sub-assembly to the back of the curbs in the sub-assembly. According the ditch sub's help, the connection point should be the beginning of the foreslope if the foreslope buffer is "0", which is what I m using. Now I did not set any targets for this sub-assembly, because I wanted it's position to be controlled by the position of the back of the curb. As you can see by the image, no luck. Any suggestions?

Message 7 of 15
castled071049

Give us an image of your assembly, not of a section view of your assembly, please.

Message 8 of 15
tmzcad
in reply to: castled071049

Per your request. I used a white background so you could see the target points better.QLH-ASSEMBLY 2.JPG

Message 9 of 15
sboon

Your assembly looks right at first glance.  Can you post the drawing, or at least a portion of it with the assembly.  If its too large for this forum then Dropbox is a good option for sharing files.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 10 of 15
tmzcad
in reply to: sboon

Steve,

If you want to investigate this further, attached is a link to the file, about 18mg. Thanks for any help you can provide.

https://qlha.sharefile.com/d/s566d2656051466e9

Message 11 of 15
Jeff_M

Drawing requires a password....

EESignature
Message 12 of 15
tmzcad

Yes sorry. Password is - cco2qh26 Tipton M. Zimmerman CADD Designer QUENTIN L. HAMPTON ASSOCIATES, INC. CONSULTING ENGINEERS P.O. DRAWER 290247 PORT ORANGE, FLORIDA 32129-0247 Ph: (386) 761-6810 Fax: (386) 761-3977 Email: tzimmerman@qlha.com DISCLAIMER OF LIABILITY: The data in any attachment to this email is transmitted to you at your request for your convenience. The user of this information assumes all liability resulting from such use and hereby releases QLHA from liability of any nature, express or implied, relating to the use of this information contained thereon. Information contained in any attachment is subject to change at the discretion of QLHA.
Message 13 of 15
Jeff_M

hmmmm.....

9-27-2012 7-35-50 AM.png

EESignature
Message 14 of 15
tmzcad

Took off password and re-posted c.a.d. file to link. Please down load new file.

Message 15 of 15
Jeff_M

Now I get an error trying to download..."The items originally associated with the link you were sent have been deleted."

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report