Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gap in corridor

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
teblack
2077 Views, 16 Replies

Gap in corridor

I am creating a drive corridor. The alignment has no P.I.'s. I am using feature lines to control the edge of drive and shoulder break. There are no gaps in the surface which I am using as a target. For some reason I keep getting a gap in the corridor surface as shown in the attached view. Any ideas?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
sboon
in reply to: teblack

Is it actually a gap in the corridor?  It looks more like one station is not daylighting correctly.  Try looking at the corridor in the view/editor and stepping through the sections in that area.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 17
teblack
in reply to: sboon

Poor choice of words on my part. You are correct, it is not daylighting on one side. I can't find any reason why. Do you have any ideas?

Message 4 of 17
sboon

Any error messages on corridor rebuild?

Maybe a bad featureline elevation on that side?

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 17
teblack

No, feature line elevations are correct. I have this problem on some drives, but not all. The problem is always on the right. It's not the assembly or it would show up in all the drives.

Message 6 of 17
alderliesteng

This is a long shot but is there a manual outer boundary applied to the design surface?

Message 7 of 17
teblack
in reply to: alderliesteng

No. I used corridor extents as outer boundary.

Message 8 of 17
Jeff_M

Any possibility of posting the dwg file?

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 9 of 17
GTVic

Does the feature line contain a spiral? Maybe try straightening it out for a test.

Message 10 of 17
sboon
in reply to: GTVic

@GTVic wrote:

Does the feature line contain a spiral?

I'm pretty sure that a feature line cannot contain a spiral.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous

Hi,
you can create sample line on the gap and the see in the section what is the problem.

Message 12 of 17
teblack
in reply to: Anonymous

I can't post the drawing. It is over 51Mb.

If you look at the corridor in section editor the slope stops before it reaches the target surface.

I created a sample line and cross section at the spot in question. The corridor section matched into existing just as it should but the surface stopped short, same as section editor. Overhang correction didn't help.

Message 13 of 17
sboon

Is there a region boundary at that station?

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 14 of 17
kcobabe

I often find that viewing your corridor in 3D will often find the reason why you corridor is not targetting correctly.  I would not do this with the entire corridor though.  Shut off all regions you don't need to see and the switch to 3D.

Kind of looks like one corridor feature line is hitting the other corridors feture line which is messing up you intitial starting point for your daylight.

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
V8i - V8i SS4 Microstation
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 15 of 17
doni49

@teblack wrote:

I can't post the drawing. It is over 51Mb.

There are ways to make it smaller so that you can post it.  First copy your file to an alternate location and then in that copy:

Delete everything that is not used for either the alignment, assembly, corridor, profile or surface definition.  That will likely make it considerably smaller.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 16 of 17
GTVic

@sboon wrote:

@GTVic wrote:

Does the feature line contain a spiral?

I'm pretty sure that a feature line cannot contain a spiral.

Steve

Sorry, feature line created from an alignment that had a spiral. Then you end up with tesselation and sometimes if the software needs to do an intercect at 90° then it can have trouble with the angles. I see that problem with software where it doesn't get an expected intercect so it snaps back to the original object at zero offset. That is what I see on the image is a possible failed intersection along a curved section.

Message 17 of 17
teblack

The entire drive is one region. Viewing the corridor in 3D shows it with the piece missing. The surface used as a target has no voids which might cause this problem. I haven't found anything yet which helps. I will save the drawing and remove all unnecessary information to see if I can post it later today.

Thanks for all your suggestions so far.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report