Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GIS wants a DWG file

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
GrantT-LS
527 Views, 7 Replies

GIS wants a DWG file

I have been able to MAPEXPORT points, polylines & text out in a SHP file for our GIS department. They are asking for a DWG file with my manhole infromation. when I sent the drawing file they said there was nothing the file. It had layers but no plines points or text. Does anybody know of what I might be missing in my drawing for ESRI to see these?

Tim Grant
Civil 3D 2022.1.3
Windows 10 Professional
Intel Core i7-10700 CPU @ 2.9 GHz
16 GB, 64-bit
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
LeafRiders
in reply to: GrantT-LS

When you say "Manholes" are these blocks or are they circles in a file, what are they? If they were blocks it wouldn't be a problem. I guess I don't quite understand what you have and what they need based on what you posted.

Message 3 of 8
Neilw_05

If your manholes are Civil 3D pipe network parts you'll have to convert them to generic Autocad entities for Map to be able to work with them. I believe there is a utility to convert C3D pipe networks to GIS in the storm and sanitary module. That would probably give better results, unless the GIS folks specifically prefer a DWG file vs. a GIS format.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 4 of 8
GrantT-LS
in reply to: Neilw_05

These are manholes as part of a pipe network in Civil 3D. The GIS department is looking to get the drawing in DWG format with the hpoes that all information will populate their data base in GIS.

So another option is to make a block with attribute infromation that will go over to GIS.

The GIS department also thinks they might have an older version that might not be cooperating with Civil 3D 2012.

Tim Grant
Civil 3D 2022.1.3
Windows 10 Professional
16 GB, 64-bit
Message 5 of 8
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Neilw_05

In SSA Neil?

I think the other way to get pipe nets into shp file is to first create an sdf file and then use bulkcopy to create the shp from the sdf.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
GrantT-LS
in reply to: jmayo-EE

I have not used SSA yet and am now looking into that. Any good direction or just try to muddle through the 540 page manual?

Tim Grant
Civil 3D 2022.1.3
Windows 10 Professional
16 GB, 64-bit
Message 7 of 8
jmayo-EE

Not that I have done this but I would think that you go to the Output tab in C3D, hit the export to storm sewers button to create an stm file. Open SSA, import the stm and export to gis format.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
GrantT-LS
in reply to: jmayo-EE

This did work but when I brought the storm drain into GIS the inlets and manholes were off the coordinates by a couple feet. At least I'm on the right track.

Tim Grant
Civil 3D 2022.1.3
Windows 10 Professional
16 GB, 64-bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report