Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GIS info to Civil 3D 2010

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Atrana
486 Views, 11 Replies

GIS info to Civil 3D 2010

This morning my manager told me he had a dream last night

He dream of:

1. GEtting the informations from the GIs department and import them into our survey drawing. 

2. Build a surface from Gis information (lidar contours) (parcels info) 

I loaded Task-based GEopartial work space, asigned a coordinate system TX83-SCF, then go to insert menu, clik on map import, choose the 3 files GIS gave me (AOI, Contour and Parcels)

They all come in but

Wrong location

Parcels is nothing but a big solid blocks

Contours has NO elevation

Could someone tell me if I am approaching the "DREAM" correctly? 

Thanks ALL 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
rkmcswain
in reply to: Atrana

@Atrana wrote:

Parcels is nothing but a big solid blocks

Contours has NO elevation

(a) Type in the command POLYDISPLAY, choose the EDGES option. Then REGEN.

(2) Correct. There is a fairly long set of steps needed to get them up to elevation. Google it. At some point (Civil 3D 2011 I think?), the ability to import SHP files directly into a C3D surface (with the correct elevation) was added.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 12
Atrana
in reply to: rkmcswain

(a) Type in the command POLYDISPLAY, choose the EDGES option. Then REGEN.

Thats solved the solid stage of them polys, Next question 

Is there a way to DISPLAY the info in that shapefile?? Like "owner information...etc..?" when i edit data [ADEEDITDATA] it does show those info in the "inteligent object"

Message 4 of 12
rkmcswain

You have to import the data during the SHP file import process (2nd and 3rd dialogs of the link below) - which also happens to be the process for getting the contours up to elevation.

http://map3d.wordpress.com/2007/09/26/contours-from-shape-files-with-elevations/

Message 5 of 12
Atrana

I DO have information for them polygon in the current drawings .. just cant figure out how to DISPLAY them

Message 6 of 12
rkmcswain

View or Label in the drawing?

To View - select the object, open Properties.

To Label is a bit more complicated.

Are you open to using an FDO connection instead of Map Import to import the GIS data?

Message 7 of 12
Atrana

I would like to LABEL it

and 

wow .. the FDO where the expert calls the "FIDO" LOL... I read a tat about the FDO .. but couldnt figure out how to do it .. and would love to pick your brain about it... 

In the mean time, I just cant figure out where are ya expert come from and sharing these value informations .. It was a bless to have ya around!! 

Message 8 of 12
Murph_Map

@Atrana wrote:

In the mean time, I just cant figure out where are ya expert come from and sharing these value informations .. It was a bless to have ya around!! 

Some of us retired from using AutoCAD.  😉

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 9 of 12
rkmcswain
in reply to: Murph_Map

Well, now that Murph is here, I'm going to bow out....

Murph is the man when it comes to this stuff....

Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 12
thepworth

When you mapimport, have you tried the options for 1) import polygons as polylines and 2) create object data.

The polylines will give you just the parcel outlines.  Object data will make the parcels & contours "smart."  Meaning you can then use dynamic annotation to lable parcel ids / lot no's etc.  

Finally look at FDO - this will enable you to connect to GIS data outside of CAD - you'll be able to overlay the parcels and other fun stuff without bloating your drawing with (maybe) unnecessary objects.

Start with looking at the tutorials for Map.  They load with Civil3D, but aren't always the best documented to inform folks about the extended capacities of Civil.

P.S. check out stuff like Murph's (old) blog - a wealth of information there as well as in the forums.

PPS don't hesitate to ask questions - we'll answer as we're able....

Best of Luck!

Message 11 of 12
Murph_Map

@rkmcswain wrote:

Well, now that Murph is here, I'm going to bow out....

Murph is the man when it comes to this stuff....

Smiley Wink

But I retired from this stuff.

You and Todd can handle it.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 12 of 12
Atrana
in reply to: Murph_Map

Dont b like that Murph!! .. LOL ..SemperFi

in the meanwhile. I lost the TASK-BASE GEOPARCEL workspace somewhere and have no clue how to get them back hicx

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report