Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GEOTECHNICAL MODULE

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
CADEngr2014
6346 Views, 14 Replies

GEOTECHNICAL MODULE

Hello,

We are using Civil 3D 2014.

I have imported geotechnical boreholes using the *.csv file method.  The meaning of a column headers is unclear.  There does not appear to be specific help file definitions of this.  So does anyone know what "Location Type"means, or where to find the definition?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
neilyj666
in reply to: CADEngr2014

It just means the Type of hole/pit e.g. BH OH RC TP for (i.e. Borehole, Openhole, Rotary Core, Trial Pit). This type of data is typically filled in by the SI contractor and passed across in the AGS file to the end user. It can be pretty much any text field you like as I don't believe it is used specifically for any purpose (may be wrong) e.g. the last csv is used I used BOREHOLE for all the field.

The geotech module is an adaption of part of a third party's SI logging/reporting software (Holebase SI by Keynetix) and the type of hole may be used by this software to produce reports etc

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 15
neilyj666

Another word of caution for using the module is to beware of the surfaces created as, in my opinion, they do not model the subsurface correctly at this time and in some situations a lower stratum could appear above a higher stratum.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 15
GaryMorin8439

Hi,

In general terms location type, means the type of borehole that has been created, it's up to you what values you give, but generally the location types will be something like this:

TP for trial pit
RC for Rotary coring
CP for cable percussion
etc.

regards

Gary
Message 5 of 15
GaryMorin8439
in reply to: neilyj666

Hi

We do not expect the automatically created surfaces to be correct, as all it is doing is joining the dots together from the strata locations in the boreholes with, but they are an excellent starting point.

The surfaces need to be interpreted and manipulated to show a true representation of the strata.

However I am surprised how a lower stratum can appear above the higher stratum. The tool just displays the information there in the order it finds it.

Neil, I know you have the HoleBASE SI extension for Autocad Civil 3D, so contact me directly I will look into this, as you know I can't do this for normal Geotechnical Module issues, but can with customers using the HoleBASE SI extension.

Regards

Gary
Message 6 of 15
neilyj666
in reply to: GaryMorin8439

I really meant the lower strata appears above the ground level (higher stratum) which is to be expected (see screenshots from AU2013 presentation CI2893-L) which I'd stress is not a fault of the tool but just the way it "joins the dots".

I've highlighted this fact again in this thread as it could be a trap for the unwary...:)

Following the steps in the noted AU presentation (page 5-8 of the handout) to model the subsurface data more correctly involves several stages in Civil 3D which one would hope could be ultimately automated

EESignature

Message 7 of 15
CADEngr2014

Neilyj,

What are the steps/stages you are referring to?  I have noticed in profile, surfaces crossing.  Is there a way to correct for this performance or a preferred sequence?

Message 8 of 15
GaryMorin8439

Hi

He is referring to the videos and tutorials on my website, www.keynetix.com/fromthegrounddown, I hope to get some more up there in the coming months.

regards

Gary
Message 9 of 15
CADEngr2014

Gary,

I noticed a reference to "KeyHole" and "HoleBase", also on the developer site.  Are these earlier versions of the Geotechnical Module and would we be better off using those instead of the Geotechnical Module?

Message 10 of 15

Hi

Contact me directly at gary.morin@keynetix.com and I can give you more information.

Best regards

Gary Morin
Technical Director

Keynetix Ltd
Member of the Key Systems Group

Tel. +44 (0) 1527 68888
Mobile: 07801 371438
Linkedin: uk.linkedin.com/in/garymorin63
Web Site: http://www.keynetix.com

Have you used The Keynetix Knowledgebaseyet?Click the link for your online resource for support, FAQ and training videos for all Keynetix products.

http://kbs.keynetix.com/ Login today with your Keynetix username and password

IMPORTANT: Please address all support & sales correspondence to either support@keynetix.com or sales@keynetix.com Addressing support questions to individuals may delay the response
Message 11 of 15
neilyj666

Whilst the videos and tutorials are good as far as they go (the fence diagram is useful) they do not deal with the crux of the issue i.e. joining the dots based on the stratum level rather than depth and I was referring to the AU paper

Attached email correspondence extract between myself and Gary explains the problem

"Yes you suggested on the forum that the AGS file could be modified to set the ground levels to 0 thus forcing the surfaces to be measured from 0 i.e. relative depths. I had created GEOL.csv and HOLE.csv so changed the collar level in HOLE to 0 and the first problem I ran into was that the levels were negative (as one might expect) but which isn't much use in Civil 3D.

Civil 3D lacks a tool that will automatically flip negative levels to positive and so I had to create a volume surface against a zero datum and paste to new surface to get the relative levels to become positive - I didn't try changing the levels in GEOL to -ve but might that work?

When the levels are sorted out, a volume surface is created (VS Inferred Base of Peat) with the positive relative levels as BASE and EGL as Comparison (EGL typically derived from Topo survey/air survey data etc rather than just the borehole collars). The volume surface can then be pasted to a new surface e.g. Inferred Base of Peat and can be used as a conventional Civil 3D surface for Sections/Profiles/Volumes etc. I have used a similar technique in the LSS ground modelling package for many years although LSS is able to "multiply" a surface elevation by -1 thus changing the Z value to +ve.

The advantage is that this method allows the stratum of interest to follow the undulations of the EGL (may not always be true geologically but a reasonable starter). However the disadvantage is that SI data isn't typically collected at the site boundary so some extrapolation is always required to fill in the gaps if any meaningful quantities are to be derived..."

EESignature

Message 12 of 15
azmirspahic

How can we put FAULTS in geotechnical modul?

Message 13 of 15
GaryMorin8439
in reply to: azmirspahic

Sure, You can add faults to the model, I will be uploading a video showing how shortly.

Basically , it is a simple fault just use a Wall Breakline, for more complex use to break lines for each surface.

Message 14 of 15
DCot

I am trying to export a profile together with the  borehole strip data (produced using the geotechnical module in Civil 3d) to Acad for further manual tweaking.

The borehole strips do not appear in the exported acad dwg.

Any ideas for a workaround?

Message 15 of 15
GaryMorin8439

Hi

I'm afraid this is a known problem, unfortunately I do not have any workarounds at the moment.

We hope the problem can be addressed in a future release.

Regards

Gary Morin
Technical Director

Keynetix Ltd
Member of the Key Systems Group

Tel. +44 (0) 1527 68888
Mobile: 07801 371438
Linkedin: uk.linkedin.com/in/garymorin63
Web Site: http://www.keynetix.com

Have you used The Keynetix Knowledgebaseyet?Click the link for your online resource for support, FAQ and training videos for all Keynetix products.

http://kbs.keynetix.com/ Login today with your Keynetix username and password

IMPORTANT: Please address all support & sales correspondence to either support@keynetix.com or sales@keynetix.com Addressing support questions to individuals may delay the response

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report