Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding the Lowest Elevation Inside of a Polygon

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
bydesign99
1383 Views, 5 Replies

Finding the Lowest Elevation Inside of a Polygon

I have a need to find the lowest elevation inside of a small rectangular polygon (6'x7'), then assign the polygon to that elevation. This is fairly easily done manually with feature lines, however I need to repeat the operation about 3,000 times to create a design grid (therefore, not obliged to using all of the design budget to do so). Does anyone know of a method to automate this? I employed the GIS department to run the analysis, which they can do, however they can't rotate the DEM grid output to match my project because it doesn't run parallel to north/south, thus skewing the results.

Ideas, commands, lisp routines, scripts, anything?

Tags (3)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Neilw_05
in reply to: bydesign99

I do think this would be better handled by GIS. The GIS guys should be able to densify the grid so you get more sample points inside the polygons.

Do they have spatial analyst?
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 3 of 6
bydesign99

The GIS analyst managed to get it done, but since the grid doesn't align there is a slight loss in accuracy. It's probably not enough to be concerned about, but thought it would be a good tool to have as we are using this more frequently now for some specific design tasks.

You confirmed my suspicion, thanks for the reply.

Message 4 of 6
Neilw_05

Won't you have the same grid alignment problem in C3D? How would you propose to address that?
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 5 of 6
tcorey

A few months ago, I wrote a program that analyzes a surface and finds the high and low points. You might be able to modify the code to do what you're attempting. If you want a copy to play with, just send me an email: tcorey at shasta dot com.

Are your surfaces TIN surfaces or Grid surfaces? I might get time next week to make an attempt at this for you, assuming Christmas week is as quiet as usual.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 6 of 6
bydesign99
in reply to: tcorey

We are using TIN surfaces. When I exported a DEM to the GIS analyst it was a grid with 1ft spacing.

We actually got ahold of a LISP routine that can set a feature line to the lowest elevation vertice. By using that we set the feature line over the grid, captured elevations from the surface, then ran the LISP. Voila. The grids are small enough where this works wonderfully.

Thanks for all of the input! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report