Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding area of stock piles

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
greenju17
446 Views, 16 Replies

Finding area of stock piles

Hello,

I went out with our GPS and shot each of our stock piles we have in our yard (recycle asphalt, 3/4" gravel, 1" gravel, etc.), and now I want to figure out how much of each pile we have

So what I did was create a seperate surface for each pile, then I created a volume surface for each as well and just set the base and compare surface as the existing, that wat was I can get the total sq ft of each pile, but now I want to figure out how much yards of material are in each pile

Would I need to set up a materials list for each on to calc how much are in each pile according to what type of material they are??  Or what would be the best way to go about it??

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
dhskeim
in reply to: greenju17

On the menu bar choose Utilities---> Volumes dashboard.

Then create a new surface name it to the material type and select the base and comparison surfaces

Message 3 of 17
dgordon

it sounds to me like you already have something that will give you the yards. You did say you created volume surfaces comparing the stockpiles to existing ground. That is where you look to get the cubic yards of material.
Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 4 of 17
ericcollins6932

If I follow correctly, you are comparing the same surface to itself.

Use the toe shots of the piles to create a datum surface, and then compare datum to existing. You need the bottom of the piles and then the piles to properly compare.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 5 of 17
dgordon
in reply to: ericcollins6932

The original poster already mentioned that they also have a existing surface to compare to before the stockpiles where placed.
Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 6 of 17
neilyj666
in reply to: ericcollins6932

This is the way I read it as well

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 7 of 17
ericcollins6932
in reply to: neilyj666

@neilyj666 wrote:
This is the way I read it as well

" and just set the base and compare surface as the existing"

Setting the same surface as base and compare will give 0 volume. I chose to read it literally.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 8 of 17
greenju17

First, I created a EG surface, just ground shots throughout the sight, and the shots around the base of the piles ( there are 10 piles of material).  Then I created 10 surfaces, 1 for each pile, and I used the shots around the bottom edge as my boundry.  Then I created a Volume surface from each pile, Base surface being my EG and the Compare surface being each seperate pile ( so 10 total Volume surfaces).

But, as you stated, I get the total SQ FT of the pile, thats it.  Im looking to get the yard of material in each pile.  Do I need to set the material type in order to do this??  I guess Im not sure how to go about it with out creating a corridor and proposed contours so I can compare it?

Message 9 of 17
g_k50

So you took shots around the base of the piles? 

And how many shots did you take on the top of the pile? If none, try again. and think about how to make a volume.  You need three dimensions.

Message 10 of 17
greenju17
in reply to: g_k50

Maybe this will help...here is what I have.  I attached my base drawing....let me know if it doesnt work

Message 11 of 17
sboon

How are you getting the area reported to you, in a table, on the command line or something else?  Try opening the properties dialog for one of your Volume surfaces and switch to the Statistics tab.  Can you see any areas or volumes listed there?

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 12 of 17
greenju17
in reply to: sboon

Im using the Volume Dashboard to get he SQ FT of the piles.  I added my Volume surface to the dashboard.

Message 13 of 17
awood

In the drawing it your EG includes your piles, so comparing EG with each pile will show no volume.

You need to create the EG without the pile shots and then compare the individual piles to EG as you have done.

HTH

AWood

Message 14 of 17
sboon
in reply to: awood

Also - all of the volume surfaces are comparing the Pile surfaces to themselves, so no volume can be calculated.  Once the EG has been fixed all of the Volume surfaces should be deleted and recreated so that they compare EG to each Pile.

Edit - It looks like you already have survey figures defining the footprint of each pile.  If you remove the point group from the EG surface definition, so that only the figures are used then you should have a clean TIN under each of the piles that would give a proper volume.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 15 of 17
greenju17
in reply to: sboon

Ahhh....I thought I had the EG surface by itself at one time, not sure what happend??  Got it now, Re-did the EG surface to only include GS and the base of each pile, then re-created each Volume surface, now Im getting the amount of Cu yds for each pile

Thanks guys

Message 16 of 17
g_k50

Your EG(1) appears to be made up of the piles also, so the surface volume is zero.

Create a new EG with only points on the flat part of the site.

Then create volumes using the new EG and the Pile(s) surface.

Message 17 of 17
Joe-Bouza

If you found a solution you should select it so other user are aware of your findings
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report