AutoCAD Civil 3D General

Valued Contributor
Postmaster_G
Message 1 of 4 (291 Views)

Find path of determined slope along a surface

291 Views, 3 Replies
10-25-2013 01:27 PM

So I am trying to draw an alignment for a road.  I want the alignment to represent the outside of the curve as the road climbs up and around a mound. Is there not way to do this in Civil 3D?!?

I have read this post

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/How-to-draw-a-3d-pline-at-a-designed-grade-on...

and this post

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/Feature-Line-at-Grade/m-p/1533814/highlight/t...

and now I am thinking I will have to do this manually, extract contours, and trim/extend my way to victory...

I really would like to have this in a dynamic situation so I can make adjustments.  Also, it would be adventageous to have the line actually follow the grade so I dont have to add curves in etc later...

I do not have money to spend on an add on, I wish I did!

Valued Mentor
TerryDotson
Message 2 of 4 (254 Views)

Re: Find path of determined slope along a surface

10-26-2013 05:54 AM in reply to: Postmaster_G

For those that would consider an add-on, follow this link.

Autodesk Exchange Store - GradePoly

*Expert Elite*
Neilw
Message 3 of 4 (244 Views)

10-26-2013 07:59 AM in reply to: Postmaster_G

I've dealt with this scenario more than a few times. You won't find a dynamic solution. Terry's tool is probably the best option. Use it as a guide to layout an alignment. Once you have the alignment you can run the tool with different parameters to make adjustments.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
Infrastructure Suite/C3D 2013, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 7 64 PRO
HP Pavillion h8xt, i7 2600, 12 GB
RADEON 6450, 1 GB
http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Valued Contributor
Postmaster_G
Message 4 of 4 (197 Views)

10-28-2013 01:03 PM in reply to: TerryDotson

TerryDotson wrote:

For those that would consider an add-on, follow this link.

Autodesk Exchange Store - GradePoly

I appreciate this response, except I clearly state I do not have the money for this add-on.

When I do, I will most likely purchase this as it seems very useful.

Here is an idea.  I would pay twice as much for an add-on that would consider this situation:

...So I want my outside edge of road to ride the slope at x%.  I want my road to have a fixed width. I want the inside of the road to also be at x%.  I would like my minimum turning radius to be y-distance. Press go and it will give the required centerline and edges of road.

The cost of the add on being near 1% the cost of the program is not bad at all, 60 bucks is a bit steep for one feature though...

I wish guys like you worked for autodesk so this would just be in the program.  That or they should totally buy this from you (guess they are cheap like me)!

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the Autodesk Community?
We’re looking at a few different ways to improve the “All Forums” landing page and need your feedback! If interested, please take a few minutes to fill out the following Usability Study. Thank you for your time!

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs