Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find Offset and Elevation in Profile View

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
rkmcswain
2181 Views, 4 Replies

Find Offset and Elevation in Profile View

I thought I had posted this before, but I can't find it....

You can use 'PSE  to find a point by station and elevation in a profile view.

Is there anyway to find a point by offset and elevation in a section view?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
gjrcmb
in reply to: rkmcswain

I don't seem to be able to find a built-in way to do exactly what you're asking to do in an efficient manner.

The best way I am finding is to place a Cogo Point using Points > Create Points - Aligments > Station/Offset to place a point at a particular station/offset in plan view, and then use the Section Views > Project Object into Sections View to get it into my cross section.  Of coarse if you had a continuous running feature, you could create a 3D polyline or Feature line to get it into multiple sections.

I also experimented with using Section Labels, but the method is not very functional.  What I did was to select a section, and select Add View Labels > Offset Elevation.  When prompted to Pick a Point, I snapped to and selected the profile grade line point.  The system adds a label to that point.  At the next Pick a Point prompt, I typed in a relative coordinate value taking into account the vertical exageration of the section, say @20,-10, for 20 units to the right and 10 units down (or really 1 unit for a vertical exageration of 10 in my instance).  The system places a label at that relative position to the first.  Yeah, I know, very cumbersome.  This assumes that you know the vertical difference (not the actual elevation), take into account the vertical exageration, and don't have to deal with multiple points at each section as the relative coordinate will not relate back to the profile grade every time.

Message 3 of 5
gjrcmb
in reply to: gjrcmb

I also discovered that you can use the Move command along with absolute cordinates to move a label on the cross sections to a desired location.

Message 4 of 5
gjrcmb
in reply to: gjrcmb

Oops, sorry I meant relative coordinates with the Move command.

Message 5 of 5
jmayo-EE
in reply to: rkmcswain

I woud draw the object in plan (point, 2 or 3d pline, FL) and project it to section view.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report