Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filtering Grade Break Labels

32 REPLIES 32
SOLVED
Message 1 of 33
jporter
8451 Views, 32 Replies

Filtering Grade Break Labels

I've got a drawing in which the existing ground is so jaggedy that I've got way too many grade breaks (see the attached image).  I know I can use the weeding and eliminate the labels every 50 feet, or so, along the profile.  But I need to have the ability to only show a specific grade break range.  For instance, I'd like for my profile only to display grade breaks between 0% and 2% and not to display anything above 2%. I've tried making an expression, but have been hitting brick walls.  I also know I can manually (use the CTRL + click) select the specific labels that I don't want and erase them, but I've got lots of these labels.  Is there anyone out there (much more savvy at this than I) who knows of a LISP routine or an expression that can accomplish this? 

Jason Porter
ASTI Civil Solutions Technical Advisor
www.asti.com
32 REPLIES 32
Message 21 of 33
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thanks Jeff. I got it, scrolled down after I posted and found it. I'm an curious that My "Grade" label text size doesn't let me choose and expression; no pop down?

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 22 of 33

Hello Everyone

First of all, thanks because the solution is very practical and help me understand why there are "Expressions" elements in the Settings... I have a question related with this and the Bands in the profile view... In the following picture, The lower band try to represent the grade break points (station/elevation) of the lower terrain profile (right under the green hatch).  How could I Match the real grade breaks (blue lines) with the one with 0% of change shown in the lower band? i played with weeding but it only show more or less grade break marks, but does not take in consideration the 0 diffeerence in grade between the surface triangle (i assume that this is what it marks)

I have a BandQ1.png

As shown in the next picture... there are no "Expressions" for profile bands ... does it just lack of expressions or there are other element "expressions" that affect the results in the bands? 

BandQ2.png

Thanks in advance... 

Message 23 of 33

The bands only read profiles and they only read them at specified station increments.  I'm not sure if there is any way to use expressions to add grade breaks to a band.  Maybe someone much smarter than myself will have a better answer for you, but I'm afraid it may be a limitation of the software. 

Jason Porter
www.asti.com
Message 24 of 33

Thanks, anyway...

Looking for a solution for this, someone (in this very forum) gave an idea... draw (manually) a new profile in the view with less PVI so the band (linked to that new profile) will show only the information that you gave... looks nice, but lacks of the supposed inteligence of a 3d model...

i'm sure there should be another solution, i'll keep looking for.

regards

Message 25 of 33

Yes, that is what I was eluding to, but the issue is that even if you have a third profile to attach to the band I don't know of a way to have the band label anything that doesn't land on one of the major or minor station increments.    

For example, if you have a band style that labels every 100 feet and your grade break falls at station 103+25 (for example) how will you get that label to show?  

And yes, this profile will not be linked to the 3D model.  

Jason Porter
www.asti.com
Message 26 of 33
C3DJAKE
in reply to: jporter

Any ideas about expressions to return the maximum and minimum tangent grade on a given profile?

Message 27 of 33
tcorey

Take a look at Profile-6B.dwg in the Civil 3D tutorial drawings. It has an example of how you label horizontal and vertical geometry points in a band. 

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 28 of 33
C3DJAKE
in reply to: tcorey

Thanks, some good ideas in that dwg. I suppose labeling the geometry points at grade breaks might work, but I'd need it to create labels only at the points corresponding to the maximum and the minimum profile grades.

Preferably, I'd like an alignment line/curve label for plan view that references a profile and returns the maximum and the minimum grade. 

Message 29 of 33
tcorey
in reply to: C3DJAKE

That's something you would need to do through customization, using VisualLISP or .NET.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 30 of 33
tcorey
in reply to: C3DJAKE

I don't have a way to get that info into an expression, but I do have this lisp routine that will calculate minimum and maximum grade from a selected profile.

This is a vlisp project file. I had to change the extension to .txt to get it to post here. You need to rename it back to .fas (not .lsp).

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 31 of 33
C3DJAKE
in reply to: tcorey

Cool, I'd like to check it out. Could you let me know the command?

Message 32 of 33
Anonymous

Hi!! Thanks for all your support. Someone asked about filtering grade break labels at bands, I'd like to know if someone got a solution for that. I mean, I have some sections views with bands that represents the grade breaks of the profile, however, the labels overlap and I need to filter them.

Thanks.! 

Message 33 of 33
jporter
in reply to: Anonymous

That's a different type of label issue than the one discussed here.  I took a quick look to see if I can find a solution to your issue, but was left with no positive results.  Sorry, but I'm about to jump on a plane.  I just didn't want to leave this question lingering.  

Jason Porter
www.asti.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report