Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File size jumps from 5 MB to 200 MB with save

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
mermerCAD
1095 Views, 6 Replies

File size jumps from 5 MB to 200 MB with save

Help!

I have a project that has all huge files.  From 77 MB to 200 MB.  Archived versions of the same files are 5 MB.  I've tried WBlock, Geographiclocation, Purge Styles, Purge, Audit.  What could be causing this jump in file size?  Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Meredith

C3D 2014 -up to date

Windows 7 64 bit

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: mermerCAD

Are you copying and pasting?  Have you tried the DGNPurge? 

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 7
mermerCAD
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Thanks for responding!

We are not copy and pasting.

We didn't use any dgns but I tried DGNPurge.  It didn't recognize the command.

Meredith

Message 4 of 7
ToddRogers-WPM

It doesn't have to be related to DGNs.  It will clean you drawing up.  You will have to install the DGN Hotfix.  This has saved many of my customers. It is a great utility.  See below...

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autocad-C2-AE-dgn-hot...

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 5 of 7
Neilw_05

How your surfaces are displayed can affect file size. A surface displayed with triangles & contours will increase file size. Other objects can have a similar effect. Also there could be blocks embedded in your file that are not readily apparent. When you used WBLOCK, how did you select the objects? Crossing Window, ALL, etc. You may have grabbed the offending objects.

A simple troubleshooting technique is to make a copy of the file and start incrementally deleting objects and saving until you see a marked jump in the file size.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 6 of 7
Neilw_05
in reply to: Neilw_05

I should have mentioned, a quick way to see if there are "mystery" objects causing the large size, try making a copy, erasing everything using a non-crossing window (upper left to lower right) and saving. Any non-selectable objects will be left behind. If the file size is still large you can look for what got left behind.
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 7 of 7
mermerCAD
in reply to: Neilw_05

It was the surfaces.  They were frozen so I didn't see that they were using a style with triangles.  Thanks so much!

Meredith

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report