Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File management

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
sjg
Advisor
1360 Views, 12 Replies

File management

Have a possible road project coming up, which will be the first for me using Civil 3d 2011.  I need some ideas for file management/folder structuring, going from Conceptual to Preliminary to Construction.  Currently we have a Model Files folder where we seperate out each portion of the deisgn and then we have a Sheet File folder where we dref/xref to create our sheets.

Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
jmayo-EE
in reply to: sjg

Try something like this.

Project_Folder

Base Drawings

Engineering

Sheets

Survey

Architectural

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 13
sjg
Advisor
in reply to: jmayo-EE

How do you seperate it out for Conceptual, Preliminary, and Construction design phases.  I guess that is my real questions.  We have a basic folder structure similar to what you had shown:

Correspondence

Drawings

-Model Files

-Sheet Files

Engineering

References

Surveying

Based on you folders, do you create a seperate folder for each of the three phases within Base Drawings and then the same within Sheets.

Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 4 of 13
jmayo-EE

We don't but I don't see anything wrong with subfolders to organize the phases.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 13
gccdaemon

We keep it simple here. Anytime we finish "Conceptual", "Design", "Submittal %", or "Final" We'll just do an e-transmit/archive of the set so we can always go back if needed. We also do this for internal major design changes. We put these .ZIP files into an "Archive" folder. Also we keep a data link folder under our Base/xref folder.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 6 of 13
mathewkol
in reply to: gccdaemon

gccdaemon 's method is by far the best in my opinion.  I've seen some companies SAVEAS their files when a new milestone is reached and they start working on those new files.  This causes nothing but trouble with references, both DREF and XREF, among other problems.  it's best to keep the same files as "current" and then make archive copies at each milestone.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 7 of 13
Neilw_05
in reply to: mathewkol

This topic could/should be covered in a book. There are so many variables such as the size of project, scope of work, your role (do you just do the design or do you manage the project?).

Some things to consider in your file management:

Archiving files that are exchanged with other consultants/agencies/manufacturers

Exhibits for public meetings, legal documents, etc.

Change orders and work sheets during construction

As-Built (record) drawings

Do the plans need to be split into sewer/water/grading/drainage/streets?

Do you anticipate future expansion of the scope of work?

Will the project require specific standards for deliverables? How will you manage them?

Consider how you will archive your project when it is complete and how that will affect DREF's and references.

I agree with the other comments about archiving the various stages of development. Keep one set of current/active drawings with consistent names and archive the rest. Don't append dates or versions to your active file names as that creates havoc with references.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 8 of 13
jmayo-EE

I also strongly agree with Matt's opinion of keeping one dataset working through the project. This will save hours of nonsense.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 13
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: mathewkol

I'm with Matt and gcc; Archive and continue working on the same files. I have seen so many gummed up projects with this date that date, and my alltime favorite "current" in the file name. Burn and move on.

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 10 of 13
LeafRiders
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

We use a similar file structure here, but within the main project folder we define Drafting, Design, and Data folders. With detailed subfolders for various elements within each of those. Keeping "Design" separately from the rest seems to have advantages. Let's say once your project is complete, the client asks for a design submission, we would then send 1 ZIP of the design folder... Instead of sending a ZIP of the entire project folder (to ensure you have everything Civil 3D related), you would just zip the design folder. In most instances we need to send a plan submission as well (this is completely separate from Civil 3D design).

If you work with data shortcuts and survey databases these folders should be saved within the DESIGN folder. In our case we often need our drafting related work (sheets) separate from the main design without dynamic links. I know that's a bit disjointed when it comes to the true Civil 3D workflow. Client preferences often drive what you "need" to setup for network file folders.

Does this setup below make sense to you smart folks? Or do you see anything that you would rename, change or add to the mix? Thanks for your input.

Example:

Main Project Folder:

OTHER PROJECT FOLDERS NOT RELATED TO CADD

CADD - Main folder for all drafting, design, mappng, etc.

DESIGN - All "Current" Civil 3D files saved to main Design folder

ARCHIVE - Archive of Civil 3D files

DWG - Export to AutoCAD dwg files

INPUT - All other received design inputs

OUTPUT - All exported documents, reports, exports from Civil 3D

PROJECT#_DS  - Data shortcut file folder

SURVEYS - All survey related data

WORKING - All secondary user related Civil 3D files

DRAFTING - Folder only for all plan production files

SHEETS - Folder only for AutoCAD Drawing files only

01 - Phase 1

02 - Phase 2 (if required)

DATA - All project related data

Message 11 of 13
troma
in reply to: LeafRiders

Personally, we've started using one working folder for all projects.  Each project obviously has its own Project Folder within the Working folder.

With multiple seats on a network this method seems to work smoother that having each project point to a different working folder.  Any comments?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 12 of 13
LeafRiders
in reply to: troma

That approach makes sense on a small scale. Could be an administrative nightmare pending how many CADD staff you have accessing things. I'm guessing the focus is placed on the actual .dwg name itself as the main identifier? Could you share your file naming standards?

If everything is within 1 main folder for all your design work. That definitely has some advantages. This is likely taken from the view of a Civil 3D person. Problem is most firms let administration and IT drive the corporate folder structure. mmhmm

Message 13 of 13
troma
in reply to: LeafRiders

Actually, I think multiple working folders is more of a hassle with the more staff you have.  The reason is that each machine has to be told where to look for the working folder for each project.  Once it's set up, that machine should remember it every time a drawing is opened looking for that project.  But you have to open a drawing from every project on every machine before you know that everyone will get the data.  Start off a new project, you have to go to every machine again to make sure they point correctly.  Or just live with the fact that some people don't see or use the data shortcuts.  (They'll still get the referenced objects in the drawing, it's only a problem if they go to create or reference new data.  They may unknowingly end up creating shortcuts in a totally different project.)

With one Working Folder, you only have to point every machine once.

At least, that's my theory.  We're in the process of switching over, still waiting to find problems.

When we make the move to 2013 we'll make a new working folder for those projects.  Projects in the works in 2011 will be kept in 2011 (I think).

As for file names, we have a number for each client, and a -number for each project.  So, say we are working on out 3rd job for client number 2585, the File structure would be

Q: PROJECTS / 2585 / 3 / CAD 2011 / 2585-3 Base.dwg etc.  (pretty much all our drawings are in one directory.  Exceptions for Archived etc)

The data is actually on a different network drive.

R: Civil 3D 2011 / Data Shortcuts Working Folder / 2585-3

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report