Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feet to Meter

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
asuspub
26211 Views, 11 Replies

Feet to Meter

hi,

may i know how i can change from feet to meter? (please see picture)

Appreciate your help.

Civil 3D 2012 SP1
8 GB Ram
i7-2630 @ 2.0 GHz
64 Bit Window 7 OS
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
batence1986
in reply to: asuspub

Toolspace > Settings > General

Message 3 of 12
asuspub
in reply to: batence1986

HI, I want to change the elevation into meter (from feet to meter).

Which tab in General do I need to go?

Appreciate your help.

Civil 3D 2012 SP1
8 GB Ram
i7-2630 @ 2.0 GHz
64 Bit Window 7 OS
Message 4 of 12
gmay

Click the Autocad symbol in the top left of your screen.

Goto 'Drawing Utilities' then "Drawing Settings'.

In the dialog box select the 'Units and Zone' tab.

Change the Drawing units from Feet to Meters.

Good luck.

Message 5 of 12
OMCUSNR

This is not going to turn out well.  Civil 3d does NOT like mixing units!!!

You need to start in a template that uses one or the other & not mix them.  There are a bunch more setting than just the zone that controls how objects are handeled, drawn and calculations are performed.

If you have data that is in both units, pick one to work in and manually convert the other BEFORE bringing into the file you're working with.  Conversions between metric & imperial is one of the weakest spots in C3d right now.

Reid

Homebuilt box: I5-2500k, MSI P67A-GD65, 12gig DDR3 1600 ram, ASUS ENGTX460 Video card, WD Velociraptor WD4500HLHX HD, Win 7 64 pro.
Message 6 of 12
mfernandes

Create LandXML files of your imperial dataset.

Open a new metric drawing and import the imperial LandXML.

However, your imperial drawing and your metric drawing must have the units and zone set.

settings tab >right click on the drawing name>Edit drawing settings>units and zone tab.

It seems you can also insert a imperial C3D drawing into a metric drawing, (toggle on Locate using Geographic Data and Explode)

I haven't fully tested this process to see if there are any issues, on first glance it all look fine..

I agree with Reid, just changing your unit and zone settings from Imperial to metric will create a nightmare.

for one, some styles do not all convert as expected.

hope this helps.

Message 7 of 12
sboon

I'm not sure that I understand what you want to do here.

Was the drawing supposed to be in metric or imperial?  Do you want to see the elevations only in metric, and leave everything else in imperial units?

If you have started working on a drawing that was created from an imperial template and you intended for everything to be metric then you're going to be in a world of hurt.  Not only will you have to go through all of the global Civil3d settings and change the units to the appropriate metric version but you'll also have to change all of the label styles that you are using, because they will continue to display in imperial even if the drawing units are metric.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 8 of 12
Sinc
in reply to: mfernandes

@mfernandes wrote:

It seems you can also insert a imperial C3D drawing into a metric drawing, (toggle on Locate using Geographic Data and Explode)

I haven't fully tested this process to see if there are any issues, on first glance it all look fine..

I don't trust "Locate using Geographic Data" in any way.  In my testing, it does some very bizarre things.

Also, the INSERT command is a base Autocad command, and base Autocad does not understand US Survey Feet.  So any conversion it applies will be between meters and International Feet.

Sinc
Message 9 of 12
asuspub
in reply to: sboon

Was the drawing supposed to be in metric or imperial?  Do you want to see the elevations only in metric, and leave everything else in imperial units?

Ya, the drawing supposed to be in metric.

I want to see everything in metric.

Perhaps, I forgot something from the beginning and I found out at this section only it was in imperial.

Thank you all guys for responding me.

Appreciate your help.

Civil 3D 2012 SP1
8 GB Ram
i7-2630 @ 2.0 GHz
64 Bit Window 7 OS
Message 10 of 12
coopdavillage

If the drawing is supposed to be in Metric then you will want to use a metric template. Also keep in mind that there are 2 different profiles for Civil 3D and one of them is a metric profile.

If you are just using the standard out of the box template that C3D gives you then there will be a metric template that you can use instead.

hope this helps

Coop

Message 11 of 12
asuspub
in reply to: coopdavillage

alright, thanks for your help.

Appreciate your help.

Civil 3D 2012 SP1
8 GB Ram
i7-2630 @ 2.0 GHz
64 Bit Window 7 OS
Message 12 of 12
ATIFAHMED1234

I am importing point file in metres like PNEZD using import using Import survey data commmand.The data is well imported but when i take id of anyone of the points in civil 3D it is shown in inches

I have taken metric civil 3D.I have dafault settings of metres in drawing settings as well as in lable style sets.

Knidly Reply

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report