Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature lines not visible

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
daveh
8612 Views, 8 Replies

Feature lines not visible

I have numerous (114) feature lines on layer "3D Poly" that are used to make a surface. They have always been visible.... until now. I can create a new feature line on layer "3D Poly" that is visible. If I pick that feature line, and use "select similar", it indicates that I have selected 115 feature lines on layer "3D Poly".  Which, I assume, is the 114 original "invisible" feature lines, plus the new one that I just created that is visible. The surface that was created with the "invisible" feature lines shows up correctly, and indicates that the "invisible" feature lines still exist and are being utilized in the surface. I have done the following:

A regen

By selecting the new feature line, and using "Select Similar", I have ensured that all of the feature lines are in front, display order wise.

I have made sure that the feature line style is visible in plan view, in fact, I made sure it was visible in all view directions.

I have turned on and thawed every layer.

I am working in model space, so frozen layers in a viewport is not an issue.

Closed Civil 3D, and restarted.

I have closed Civil 3D, re-booted the computer, and restarted Civil 3D.

Nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

Dave
Civil 3D 2015
Win 7 Premium 64
Quad
8GB
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
KirkNoonan
in reply to: daveh

I would change to model space, thaw and turn on all layers and see if they show up. If they haven't been inadvertently changed and still don't appear, try an audit. If they are part of your surface, you might try inserting them into the drawing from the surface definition.You could also try doing the select similar operation again and exploding everything that gets selected. That should get you a bunch of 3D Plolylines.

Message 3 of 9
daveh

Thanks for your reply....

I've tried everything that you've suggested with no good result. I also just to purge the drawing, and I got even though I picked "Purge All" several times, it would never completely purge. So.... I closed the drawing and attempted a recover. It found multiple errors (89), and fixed them. The result was I no longer have any evidence of the "invisible" feature lines. They are now gone. Weird...........

Dave

Dave
Civil 3D 2015
Win 7 Premium 64
Quad
8GB
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

In your toolspace open the site with the feature lines and list the feature lines and check that they are using a style that has the display turned on.

Message 5 of 9
KirkNoonan

Problem solved a la Autodesk!

Sorry to hear that. When I'm still tweaking the surface, I like to keep the 'retain deleted items' turned on just in case things like that happen. Then you can xml the surface out and back in. When you import it back into the drawing, it will havet those feature lines back in it.

I know it doesn't make it any better, but at least it always seems to go together faster the second time around.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

it *is* always easier the second time! I am very good at that.

I am having the same issue of invisibble feature lines. I have audited, recovered, purged, working in model space, everything on/thawed. no errors were eveer found. I am running 2010 - i think that the dwg came from some version of LDT. I found the feature lines in Prospector>Site. they are all on the layers I told them, via the style, to be on. odd thing was the first style I edited from the prospector had none of my edits (layer) in it. then it and all the other items *did* when i opened the style editor the second time. this is style Standard, btw. I have no clue. I have been in the Settings for the commands, etc. they are invisible from the start - as soon as I execute the command. I tried converting an existing object to test it, and it made it dissappear.

what should I do to get my feature lines visible?

thanks, dr

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

still can't see it, but can add it to the surface. if I 'select' it from the right-click context menu after picking a F.L. from Prospector>Site, I can see the grips. riddle me that.

Message 8 of 9
RandyBenson

I stumbled on a possible workaround tonight (Wu Hu!).

Close the drawing and run "RECOVER". It won't report finding any errors, but when you reopen the recovered drawing, the feature lines will have reappeared automagically.

(IF you are left-handed and hold your head EXACTLY as I did when you run the command).

HTH-

Message 9 of 9

Check out if the C-TOPO-FEAT layer is frozen. It was my case, despite my feature line was in another layer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report