Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature lines and plan/profile sheets

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
scott.holland
998 Views, 6 Replies

Feature lines and plan/profile sheets

I have a low pressure sewer system that runs along a road side but is not always parallel to the road.  I'm using hte centerline of the road for my alignment.  What I need to do is have a profile of the existing ground above the centerline of the pressure pipes show in the plan/profile sheets.  I do not need a profile of the roadway.

I'm currently using feature lines to accomplish this and that works fine in the main drawing, however, the profiles I create there don't transfer to the plan/profile sheets when I create them.  The only way I have found so far to get thoe profiles to show in the plan/profile sheets is to create the feature lines in the plan/profile drawing and project those lines to my profile view.  This is a fairly large system so I will have numerous plan/profile sheets.  Creating the feature lines and profiles in the individual sheets is fairly time consuming.

I'm currently using Civil 3D 2012.  I realize that with the addition of pressure pipe networks in 2013 might very well give me the tools I need but I'm at a point in this project, and our offiice, where switching to 2013 isn't really an option yet.  However, if that is my answer then I will have to consider that.

Otherwise, can someone give me a better approach to this?

Thanks,

Scott Holland

Project Manager

Knesal Engineering Services, Inc.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
owenmull
in reply to: scott.holland

Im not sure I understand, but from what I gather, you need to create an actual alignment and profile along the pipe itself. Plan and Profile tools (creating View Frames, then Sheets) will only read the Alignment and associated Profiles with that particular View Frame Group.

Seems to me, what you need to do is create an alignment along the pipe, then create a profile along that alignment, and next create a Profile View. 

Now when you create Sheets, you can reference that Profile View, and when it cuts the the Sheets, it will automatically put the profile in, like normal.

Depending on your P&P template settings, styles, etc. you may have to do some style/visual tweaks, but the data should be there, as opposed to what you are doing, which is modeling by feature line, which can't be cut in with the Sheets.

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017
in reply to: owenmull

This is a workflow that might help you in pre-2013 pressure pipe workflows. It also can work for things like gaslines and electric.

http://bimontherocks.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/02/forcemains-and-gas-lines-and-water-mains-oh-my.ht...

Quick Summary:

Make an alignment with styles that look like your utilities.

Sample those for profiles

Make an assembly with a marked point at your desired depth

Sample on to profile

For reference on object projection (which is also a neat way to get utilites onto profile, but as you said, if you have a lot of them it can be limiting)

http://bimontherocks.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/04/civil-3d-2010-object-projection-to-profile-and-se...

Dana Probert, P.E.
Technical Marketing Manager, Civil Engineering
Autodesk
Blog: BIM on the Rocks
Learn More About BIM for Infrastructure
Message 4 of 7
scott.holland
in reply to: owenmull

With these type systems I prefer to separate my alignment from the pipe itself.  I have found that it works much better if I set my alignment and base my view frames and profile views on that alignment.  These are small pipes, 1.5" to 3", which allows us to weave the pipe around road side obstacles.  From a visualization point of view having the alignment on top of a pipe of that nature becomes cluttered on the drawings.

However, you did give me an idea that might work.  I can try leaving my road centerline alignment in tact and base my sheets on that but create a second alignment along the pipe with a profile of that alignment.  I should be able to include the second alignment with profile in my view frames and profile views.

Message 5 of 7

It helps if you step away from the vocabulary. Just because something is called an alignment doesn't mean it must be a road. It can be a stream centerline, a fenceline, a path through the woods, a line that follows the shape of a buslane or the route a tractor takes through a farmers field.

Think less about what is required on your finished sheets and more about what you need as the designer. What is helpful to you? What do you wish you could see or experience while designing?

I had an aha moment a few years back while working on a sanitary sewer retrofit project.

http://bimontherocks.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/01/make-profile-views-and-labels-for-the-designer.ht...

Dana Probert, P.E.
Technical Marketing Manager, Civil Engineering
Autodesk
Blog: BIM on the Rocks
Learn More About BIM for Infrastructure
Message 6 of 7

Thanks Dana.  I'm reading the article now and it is very helpful.  I agree completely with you about the terminology.  I'm a new user to C3D after using Eagle Point for 20 years.  This is actually my second project with C3D.  I knew Eagle Point better than the back of my hand and could use the tools to create whatever design I had in front of me.  I hope to eventually reach that point with C3D but it will take experience to get there.  Fortunately there's a community here that I can use as a resource for ideas on how to use the tools that are provided.  Same ideas, different process.  I just need exposure.

Message 7 of 7
Jeff_M
in reply to: scott.holland

@ScottHolland3928 wrote:

Same ideas, different process.  I just need exposure.

And with that attitude it shouldn't take you too long at all! I wish more users thought like this when changing from platforms they are comfortable with.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report