Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature line issues

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Kyle-Evans
816 Views, 11 Replies

Feature line issues

Hey Everyone!!!!

Bad day for me here. I have been working on feature lines for the last couple of days grading a site plan. Today I saved my drawing and then noticed all of my feature lines were gone........... Well they were not technically gone, but they were gone. They were still showing up in the surface build under  breaklines but they were 1 point breaklines and I could not find them, zoom to them, select them or anything.

Of course, as you can understand this made me quite upset as I noticed after I saved it, and I tried to undo everything but they were gone forever.

Does anyone know why or how this happens, as it is quite annoying and has happened to me before, but on smaller jobs with 2-3 feature lines and not much rework would have to be done. But with this one I have been trying to grade this site for 2 or so days now.....

Any and all ideas would help!

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Neilw_05
in reply to: Kyle-Evans

There have been several reports of this behavior. If you do a search for disappearing featurelines you might find some answers.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 3 of 12
sjg
Advisor
in reply to: Neilw_05

Just curious on how large your site is and what type of development it is?
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 4 of 12
Kyle-Evans
in reply to: sjg

Small tiny site, just simple grading, maybe 200-300m long and 30-40m wide (metres not miles). There is no complex grading, it is 1% up 1% down, nothing difficult at all.

Message 5 of 12
jmayo-EE

I think the latest and greatest with this issue is to export the surface to xml and impert it inot a new dwg insuring that the import also creates the features from the import xml settings.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
MarissaG
in reply to: jmayo-EE

This import only brings in points or points and faces.  Not Feature Lines.  So did you mean something else?

Thanks,

Marissa Jenkinson

CADD Microsystems, Inc.

Marissa Jenkinson
CADD Microsystems, Inc.
Windows XP 64-bit
AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Map 3D, Raster Design 2011
Message 7 of 12
MarissaG
in reply to: MarissaG

Sorry, let me clarify.  If you export the Surface and the Breaklines are already gone, then it doesn't see them during the export.  So it only brings in the triangles.  Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Marissa Jenkinson

CADD Microsystems, Inc.

Marissa Jenkinson
CADD Microsystems, Inc.
Windows XP 64-bit
Message 8 of 12
jmayo-EE

When you get to the Import LandXML dialog box, click the Edit LandXML Setting button and the LandXML settings dialog wil open. Make sure that Create Source Data in Drawing is turned on. You should get 3dpolys of all the feature lines defined in the surface. 

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
MarissaG
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Thank you for your reply, but unfortunately, as I said earlier, since the breaklines and Feature Lines were gone from the drawing during the Export, all that comes through during the import is the data that was still in tact (Point Groups, etc.).  So this still means the Feature Lines are gone.  The crazy thing is that if you save the drawing that went bad, the Surface actually changes to reflect the fact that the Feature Lines and Breaklines are gone.  So you don't want to save before you try the export. 

The other thing to be careful with is that the habit of saving often was actually a detriment in this case.  The Feature Lines were missing from the BAK file as well.

Thanks,

Marissa Jenkinson

CADD Microsystems, Inc.

Marissa Jenkinson
CADD Microsystems, Inc.
Windows XP 64-bit
Message 10 of 12
jmayo-EE

Sorry it did not work for you. I have had dwg's where the feature lines disappeared and this method recovered them.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
areese9779

Here's an idea:

If you still have the surface, but not the feature lines, could you just draw a series of polylines that are in the same location as your feature lines were previously, and then convert polylines to feature lines and assign elevations from surface?  It would probably be quite a bit quicker than redesigning everything.

Andy

Andy Reese
C3D 2016, SP3
Dell Precision M4800, Windows 10 64-bit
Message 12 of 12
MarissaG
in reply to: areese9779

We actually thought about that.  But it seemed faster to simply go with the network back up from the night before. 

Thanks for the reply though!

Marissa Jenkinson

CADD Microsystems, Inc.

Marissa Jenkinson
CADD Microsystems, Inc.
Windows XP 64-bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report