Mentor
deltacoolguy
Message 1 of 42 (839 Views)
Accepted Solution

Feature Line / elevation question...

839 Views, 41 Replies
03-13-2012 03:17 PM

Feature Line / elevation question...

This might be more of a "wish list" question, I don't know.

Let's say I have two known end points with two known elevations.  I want to put a feature line between the two, but there are a couple arcs involved.  I am fine with the elevations being linear.

Is there a way to draw a feature line, and have it fill in the elevations in between automatically?

Thanks.

Windows 7-64
8GB RAM
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013
*Expert Elite*
Joe-Bouza
Message 2 of 42 (838 Views)

Re: Feature Line / elevation question...

03-13-2012 03:24 PM in reply to: deltacoolguy

Yes. choose transition on the command line until you get to the other end. There are lots of tools and options you may want to explore.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People) Civil 3D 2012 & 2013
HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win7 OS
Mentor
deltacoolguy
Message 3 of 42 (836 Views)

03-13-2012 03:28 PM in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I'm finding that out piece by piece.  I just wish some thing were a little more intuitive.

Or, at least placed together better.

Thank you, btw.

Windows 7-64
8GB RAM
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013
Distinguished Contributor
jmaeding
Message 4 of 42 (829 Views)

03-13-2012 04:07 PM in reply to: deltacoolguy

but when you go back, can you easily tell what points were designed, and what was interpolated?

No.

What you will find is civil 3D feature lines and pipe networks do not follow civil engineering design principles.

The very first thing you learn as a civil is the basics of plan layout and profile design.

It may be on a pipeline, road, or top of slope, but we all know the elevation points almost never occur at the start and ends of lines/arcs in plan.

But C3D does this because they wanted to allow users to use the regular pline grips to also edit elevations.

Minor detail, eh?

Short cut to long delay?

*Expert Elite*
Joe-Bouza
Message 5 of 42 (827 Views)

03-13-2012 04:09 PM in reply to: deltacoolguy

It has been said.

It is a new environment, you will struggle , piss and moan, and one day you'll be telling someone else where it is. :smileywink:

In the meantime..... The command line says more than space bar or enter  -- READ IT! And if you have disabled the Ribbon, by gosh put it back. The context nature of it takes you where you need/ want to go.

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win7 OS
jmaeding
Message 6 of 42 (824 Views)

03-13-2012 04:20 PM in reply to: Joe-Bouza

not if the tools are fundamentally wrong.

The more you get to know incorrectly designed tools, the more you know the problems they cause.

The answer is to make one that does work.  Too bad we pay Autodesk anyway...

*Expert Elite*
Joe-Bouza
Message 7 of 42 (814 Views)

03-13-2012 06:49 PM in reply to: jmaeding

James,

A mathematician, a physicist and an engineer go camping:

While sleeping, an ember from the campfire jumps into the tent and starts a fire. The physicist takes out a slide rule and estimates how much water he would need to dose the flames, runs to the creek puts out the fire and returns to bed.

Another fire breaks out. The engineer guesstimates the quantity needed, gets the water, extinguishes the fire and returns to sleep.

A third fire breaks out! The Mathematician computes to 2/3Pi exactly how much water is needed to put out the fire....

He was so happy with the calculation that he went back to sleep.

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win7 OS
jmaeding
Message 8 of 42 (803 Views)

03-13-2012 08:12 PM in reply to: Joe-Bouza

and they continued to put out the fire all night because they negleted a basic common sense rule "don't go to sleep while your camp fire is burning."

Those basics are tough, I know.

don't be offended, Autodesk stands to make millions by getting this stuff corrected.

*Expert Elite*
mathewk
Message 9 of 42 (798 Views)

03-13-2012 09:13 PM in reply to: deltacoolguy
Don't be discourages Deltacoolguy, some people's doom and gloom thoughts are not shared by everyone here. I use the feature lin tools very successfully in most circumstances.
Matt Kolberg
Cansel - Autodesk Division
http://www.cansel.ca/
*Expert Elite*
jmayo
Message 10 of 42 (781 Views)

03-14-2012 06:49 AM in reply to: jmaeding

"but when you go back, can you easily tell what points were designed, and what was interpolated?

No."

You can very easily place labels on the design values and exclude them from the interpolated values to determine what points were designed if needed.

Personally I have never needed to specifically know what is interpolated vs what is not. I can look at the site and know what values I want to set and what I want to interpolate. None of the local, county or state agencies that review my plans have ever asked for this either.

John Mayo, PE
IDSP 2014
Win 7 64, Xeon ES165@3.2Ghz,
64 GB RAM, Quadro K4000 (x2)

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs