Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Line Labels not updating with last change

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
fcernst
1291 Views, 17 Replies

Feature Line Labels not updating with last change

I have a feature line that is perpindicular to another and connected to it at a PI .

When I modify the elevations of one of the feature lines, the labels for slope and PI elevation of the dependent feature line do not react and update without having to invoke a REGEN.

Capture2.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
troma
in reply to: fcernst

I think this is standard behaviour.  Unless I'm confused with using my C3D 2008.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 18
fcernst
in reply to: troma

Can't be...it is tortuous to have to do this all day long.

The dependent feature line slope and PI elevation updates correctly as can be seen in the Elevation Editor for it. Just the labels are not updating without having to invoke a REGEN.

I want to be able to read and have the new slope and elevation information while designing. Also to confirm the change indeed took place without having to REGEN.

Thanks

Fred

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 4 of 18
wfberry

Perhaps REGENAUTO set to ON.

Bill

Message 5 of 18
fcernst
in reply to: wfberry

Yes REGENAUTO is set to ON and REGENMODE is set to 1 .

Is there something possibly wrong with the reactors for these text components? The directly edited feature line's labels update, but not the connected (dependent) feature line's labels.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 6 of 18
wfberry

Fred:

If you have a small drawing that you want to send me I will see what it does for me in 2013.  Just checking a minute ago, I can drag my FLs around with EL. & slope labels and they respond instantly.

I assume we are talking about the same thing.

Bill

wfberry AT bellsouth DOT net

Message 7 of 18
fcernst
in reply to: wfberry

Hi Bill,

No that's not the same. Dragging and snapping an indivdual feature line around like you say is fine.

1. Draw one feature line with three PI's.
  2. Draw a second feature line with one of its endpoints attaching to the middle PI of the first feature line so they share the same elevation.
  3. Now edit the first feature line with, for example, the Set Grade/Slope Between Points command. Change the slope of the first feature line from end to end.

The labels on the first feature line update. The labels on the connecting second feature line do not update without having to invoke a manual REGEN.

I have attached a small test drawing if you would confirm.

Thanks

Fred

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 8 of 18
BrianHailey

I'm seeing the same behavior in 2013. Seems to be a bug. I decided to try it in an earlier version so I went back to 2009 and  it works just fine there. New bug apparently.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 9 of 18
fcernst
in reply to: BrianHailey

@Brian Thank you for looking at this.

This is also happening on my extracted dynamic corridor feature lines when I do section parameter edits (i.e. change a lane slope). The section. corridor surface and contours update fine, but I have to get out of the Section Editor and Rebuild the corridor for the feature line labels to update.

Thanks again

Fred

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 10 of 18
BrianHailey

As an alternative to labeling the featurelines, if the featurelines are added to a surface as breaklines, you can label the surface and they should update automatically.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 11 of 18
wfberry

Fred:

As you probably expected, I concur with you and Brian.  On the good side, I suppose, is the vertex actually does change, just not the label.

Searching for a work-a-round, I found that I had no short-cut for the letter "Q" and set it to REGEN in the acad.pgp.  I normally have my left hand on the keyboard and the letter Q is right close by.

Just a thought.

Bill

(Don't forget the command "reinit" which reloads the Acad.pgp while still in C3D.)

Message 12 of 18
fcernst

"As an alternative to labeling the featurelines, if the featurelines are added to a surface as breaklines, you can label the surface and they should update automatically."

This is not the same. Feature lines can be have all the segment grades and PI elevations labeled at once with the Multiple Segments labeling command.

Another difference is then the labels are attached and move with the feature line if the feature line has to move.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 13 of 18
BrianHailey

I agree it's not the same but, it's an alternative. Which is more frustrating, having to regen every time you change a featureline or have more of a manual control of label locations? That's your call based on your project and your skill sets.

Just my $0.02.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 14 of 18
fcernst

It's definitely not even close to an alternative. This alternative would be much more frustrating.

In one fell swoop we have the all the feature line segment grades and PI elevations done with one-click of the Multiple Segments labeling command.

With your alternative, I would have to snap to and label all the individual vertices with surface labels. Then do two-point surface slope labels for all the individual segments.

Then if the feature line has to move we are (fill in the blank).

Please fix the bug...

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 15 of 18
Jeff_M

@fcernst wrote:

Please fix the bug...

Make sure to log a support request if you want this fixed. Posting it on the forum may, or may not, be seen by those who can initiate the process to get it corrected. Logging a support request insures someone will see it.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 16 of 18
fcernst
in reply to: Jeff_M

10-4  Yes, I did go ahead and do that. 

Thanks for the feedback on this.

Fred

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 17 of 18
divanov

Any development on this? Still present in 2018.

Message 18 of 18
dmpe
in reply to: divanov

Has this been fixed for C3D 2019?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report