Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fatal Errors at Critical Stages

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
USGRAM
471 Views, 6 Replies

Fatal Errors at Critical Stages

I am receiving Fatal Error messages at critical stages of using C3D 2010.

1. When trying to close an open drawing, I choose to save before closing and get a fatal error crash.
2. When trying to publish drawings from a sheetset, the program crashes while publishing the last file.

This has been very frustrating because, these are normal operations of any program at which stage it is not expected to crash. I send an error report everytime it happens but has not been of any help.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: USGRAM

A couple of questions -

A.  What OS?

B.  How much memory? How much virtual memory?

C.  Is #1 any drawing, or only this current project?

D.  Have you recovered your drawings? or audit?

I would assume your last drawing may have something wrong either with
it, any attached xrefs, or sheet set overrides that might be attached -
or you simply might be running out of memory by the time you hit that
sheet in the sheet set.

Can you publish to DWF?  DWFx? PDF?

Matthew Anderson, PE

usgram wrote:
I am
receiving Fatal Error messages at critical stages of using C3D 2010.

1. When trying to close an open drawing, I choose to save before
closing and get a fatal error crash.

2. When trying to publish drawings from a sheetset, the program crashes
while publishing the last file.

This has been very frustrating because, these are normal operations of
any program at which stage it is not expected to crash. I send an error
report everytime it happens but has not been of any help.
moz-do-not-send="true" class="emoticon"
src="images/emoticons/confused.gif" alt="" border="0" height="16"
width="16">

Any suggestions would be helpful.

thanks!

Message 3 of 7
USGRAM

A. Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (system information screen shots attached)
B. 4GB Memory; Virtual memory system managed (virtual memory screen shots attached)
C. Any drawing crashes if it is not saved before closing. The program closes correctly if I save the drawing (Ctrl+S) and then close it. However, if I let the program save and close the drawing, it crashes.
D. I audited all the drawings of the projects; a couple of objects were fixed for errors.

The system shows recommended virtual memory settings as 6135MB and currently allocated as 4096MB. Can this be a cause of the crash? My drawings are in the 😧 for which no virtual memory has been allocated. The C: virtual memory is system managed.

I can publish to single DWFs from each layout using the plotter as DWF ePlot. However, if I batch publish, the program crashes while publishing the last layout.

I can batch publish using "DWF to PDF", the program crashes after the PDF is published. However, a successful publish operation of PDF file is completed.

Thanks. Edited by: usgram on Jan 11, 2010 11:09 PM
Message 4 of 7
Sinc

I have seen Civil 3D 2010 crash a number of times when I have opened a drawing, then closed Civil 3D without saving the drawing. Although, for me, I've only seen the problem every once in a while. It's not a constant thing.

So far, I haven't been able to figure out anything in particular that causes the behavior I've seen. And since the crash occurs when I'm closing a drawing without saving it, I haven't worried about it too much. It might be a different thing if it happened every time I closed any drawing without saving it, but so far, it only seems to happen every once in a while for me.

-- Sinc
http://www.ejsurveying.com
http://www.quuxsoft.com
Sinc
Message 5 of 7
USGRAM

If I save the drawing before closing the program (or that specific drawing) everything works fine. But the basic problem is that I dont remember everytime that I need to carry out that procedure; I click to close the program and accept to save before closing, and, alas, I realize the problem.

Also, there are a number of sheets in the project which I dont want to open every layout and publish. I just want to batch publish from the sheetset manager and do other things while the program is publishing all my drawings.

I have not been able to figure out specifically what the problem is either. More importantly, this crashing is costing me time that I dont really have, and extra work that I dont necessarily have to do if the program were to be working correctly!

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

For startup crashes:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=13465367&linkID=9240698
or
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=11322398&linkID=9240617

Matthew Anderson, PE

dei-feif wrote:
> I have seen Civil 3D 2010 crash a number of times when I have opened a drawing, then closed Civil 3D without saving the drawing. Although, for me, I've only seen the problem every once in a while. It's not a constant thing.
>
> So far, I haven't been able to figure out anything in particular that causes the behavior I've seen. And since the crash occurs when I'm closing a drawing without saving it, I haven't worried about it too much. It might be a different thing if it happened every time I closed any drawing without saving it, but so far, it only seems to happen every once in a while for me.
>
> -- Sinc
> http://www.ejsurveying.com
> http://www.quuxsoft.com
>
Message 7 of 7
USGRAM

Thanks Matt. After applying the hotfix, the program would crash even before it would start (see attached screen shot). So I reverted back to the previous versions of the dll files.

The issue remains unresolved for the fatal errors.

I now have a new problem of the application crashing when trying to insert hyperlinks in an mtext object. I am posting it as a new thread.

-usgram Edited by: usgram on Jan 15, 2010 10:44 AM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report