Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FBK from RAW and duplicate points

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
troot
1276 Views, 7 Replies

FBK from RAW and duplicate points

Hi Im new around here and have a problem we can't figure out.

I am a surveyor who wants/needs to perform survey adjustments on our data and from what I can tell this will require us to use FBK files generated from our TDS RAW files.  Easy enough, but I am running into problems during import because when our field crews shoot a bad point or need to fix a point code they will overwrite the "bad" point with the "fixed" one. 

when I go to import the points via FBK apparently the system doesn't realize these points were overwritten and I get duplicate point errors.  This in itself isn't that big a deal except that I am only given the option to ignore the duplicate point (no overwrite, renumber or anything) which leaves me with a bunch of bad points, bad codes, etc.  Sifting through the fbk to find the problems has proven dificult and time consuming.

Is there any way around this problem?  we can bring our RAW files into other software (Carlson Survey, Trimble Business Center specifically) and everything works fine but we would rather not use extra software just to do survey adjustments, which C3D seems apparently capable of.

thanks for your time!

Troy

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
NeillBoyle
in reply to: troot

I can't help with the duplicate points but maybe as a fellow surveyor you could help with my .fbk problem?

I'm using the new Survey Pro 5.2 (survey slow) and have not been able to convert .raw to .fbk.

I did try the .xml file but onlt the points can in.

I'm running Civil 3D 2010.

Thanks

Neill B

Message 3 of 8
troot
in reply to: NeillBoyle

yeah I haven't foudn a way to get RAW to XML yet either.  bummer that.

I can't really help with the Survey Pro as we use TDS Survey Link or Carlson Connect to get our RAW files converted.  Survey Link might be included in your C3D installation (it is in ours, but we're on 2013) and Carlson Connect is a free add-on you can find through Google.  Sorry I can't help more than that.

Message 4 of 8
NeillBoyle

Ok, I found Survey Link.

Back to your question, I think the field crew should recode bad points as VOID (NFG or what have you) and collect the shot again to keep the integrity of the raw data to be adjusted.

Message 5 of 8
SurveyorLee

I went through this awhile back, too.  SInce you are using the raw data, the best way to get around the duplicate points is to have the field persons make a note for you to delete that point and shoot it again.  If it's a rod height or description, they could note the corrrect height or description in the field book and you manually change it.  If a description is changed, it does not show up in the raw dataeither and you will get the old description in your file.

I use another 3rd party adjustment routine that is more flexible than Civil 3D.  It has converted the version 5 files too.  I do have to export them to Raw/Job in the data collecctor in order to convert them.  It seems to work well.  Have you tried that?

How are you handling multiple shots on the same point with the fbk editor.  I always had to manually change it when i was doing it in fbk.  The program now does it for me, if it's coded correctly.

Surveyor Lee.

Message 6 of 8
IanMcClain

When I import an FBK and get a duplicate point warning I make a note of the line number(s) in the error messages, then I open the FBK in a text editor (textless is a good one) and comment out the first incorrect point by putting a ! at the beginning of the line.
Ian McClain
Message 7 of 8
troot
in reply to: IanMcClain

thanks for the input guys!

I did try noting the duplicate points and commenting out the first instance of the point number, but I was finding it to be very time consuming (there were a lot of points that had their field codes changed by the crew) and I wasn't very comfortable doing it (I was worried I would lose track of what got commented out).  I don't understand why C3D can't just give me a choice of which point to use instead of the mandatory "ignore".

We were previously using Carlson Survey for all our drafting and were doing our adjustments through that (I think the specific module is called SurvNet), but with the move to C3D we have tried trimble business center and now with the problems we've been having with C3D we're looking into that or Starnet, so we have had success with 3rd party software and it seems like the way to go right now.  This is way too much hassle and honestly it hasn't endeared C3D to our survey department, which had already found it's usefulness (to a surveyor, anyway) fairly dubious.

Message 8 of 8
SurveyorLee

I have been using StartNet for about 10 years now. 

I had to have a program quickly and found it to be the most flexible for my uses.  To make it even better, I took it home with me on Friday afternoon and brought in an adjusted traverse on Monday.  I learned what I needed to be productive in less than a day, never having even looked at the software before.  And you will find it much more flexible than the Civil 3D program.  You have to remember, the Civil 3D adjustment program, and the FBK format has not significantly changed since the late 1980's, other than coding it to run in Windows.

Surveyor Lee

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report