Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F2 Text Window

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
doben
5580 Views, 9 Replies

F2 Text Window

Hello,

This has been happening using C3D 2014:

Sometiimes when I start C3D and hit F2 to open the text window it just flashes very quickly and won't stay open. Usually I will run a few other commands and then it will work properly. This only happens when I initally open the program. Anyone else see this happening?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
gccdaemon
in reply to: doben

Hit F2 (2) more times....lol

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 3 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> it just flashes very quickly and won't stay open

It stays open, but in the background, behind the Civil3D application window. 😉

You can now move the application window to the other screen (if you have none then move it a little bit to the left or to the right) and you'll see the text window ... now you can move the text window and at the moment you click onto it one time it's also pushed to front.

The faster way is that you get a second item in the taskbar for your AutoCAD session (one for the main application, one for the text window) ==> selecting the text window icon pushes it to the front.

2013-10-18 20-58-36.png

HTH, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 10
gccdaemon
in reply to: gccdaemon

The command TEXTSCR will make the "F2" window current. Also, GRAPHSCR will also close the window.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 5 of 10
dgorsman

Happens on earlier versions of AutoCAD as well.  I take it if you wait for the program to finish initializing, the F2 functions properly?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: gccdaemon

This problem cropped up after my install of Civil 3d 2015 SP2. Very annoying. Thanks for the tip.

Message 7 of 10
ryaanj

I recently ran into this in Plant 3D.  

For some reason it appears to be that if the command line is docked across the entire bottom of the screen (as it is by default in Plant3D) the text window cannot show up on top of ACAD.  Even if it's on another screen, if dragging over ACAD window it will go behind.

I found that re-docking the command line partially across bottom (as it defaults in regular AutoCAD), or anywhere else on the screen, allows F2 to pull open command line window, also it allows ctrl+f2 to show text window properly on top of ACAD.  

works:

works.jpg

doesn't work:

doesn't work.jpg

Please let me know if this fixes it for you!

Message 8 of 10
John_in_NZ

Are there any of the other long time (30 year) users who are starting to think that Autodesk is trying to wean us off some of the "legacy features" like the text screen ... Smiley Sad

... dunno, AutoCAD has obviously reached the stage of development where the new "features" that they bring in are only there to justify the ongoing subscription, and therefore they're bound to start mucking up some of the "old's cool" functionally, as they have done with DIM's ... hey ho ... Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 10
bobchaphalkar

I am a 30 year user of AutoCad. I use F2 text window for listing block names, line type, layers, dimensions etc.  etc. all the time. Then when I do not need it, I close it. Recently hitting F2 key does not get my text window back. Even Control+F2 does not work. Also the lower part of my drawing (TB) gets covered by the command line. My text window is not behind the dwg. I am getting frustrated. I do not remember doing anything to deserve this that I know of.
FYI: I am using a Windows 7  laptop for AutoCad at work. Thank you very much! Bob

Tags (1)
Message 10 of 10
bobchaphalkar

Do not get the window at all, no matter how many commands I use.

I can get the text window if I type in textscr. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report