Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extend alignment with offset alignments

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
BWYarger
1738 Views, 7 Replies

Extend alignment with offset alignments

Normally when I need to extend an alignment I simply grip edit it, but I have an alignment that has offset alignment from it that I can't seem to edit.  Is it because of the offset alignments?  If so, is there a work around?  I need to extend the alignment 100' or so.  I am using C3D 2014 on Windows 7 (64 bit).

Brad
LT, C3D 2005 - 2024
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 10, 11
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jay_B
in reply to: BWYarger

Extending the Centerline alignment seems to bring along the Offset alignments for the ride here.

Doesn't work if grip editing an Offset alignment though.

How was the Centerline alignment created?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 8
Joe-Bouza

Check you locking parameters on the alignment properties >> offset parameters tab

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
BWYarger
in reply to: Jay_B

The centerline was originally just a line, and I created the alignment from the object (line).  How did you extend your alignment?  I can't get any of the alignment tools to work on mine.

Brad
LT, C3D 2005 - 2024
Message 5 of 8
BWYarger
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

On the offset alignment, the start and end stations are locked to the start of the parent, even the end station.  The update mode is dynamic and the lock mode is geometry locking.  I read help about the locking; it didn't help.

Brad
LT, C3D 2005 - 2024
Message 6 of 8
Jay_B

@BWYarger wrote:

The centerline was originally just a line, and I created the alignment from the object (line).   

I just created an alignment from a line Using "Create Alignment from objects" command (no pi's) and

then created offsets using the "Create Offset Alignment" command. Grip edits no problem provided I use the

Begin or end grip on the Centerline alignment.

@what is your GRIPS system variable set to? 0 hides grips & 2 is initial value. Enter GRIPS @ command line.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 7 of 8
BWYarger
in reply to: Jay_B

Grips are set at 2.  I made sure all layers are unlock.  I can grip edit other alignments.  The only thing I see that makes this one different is that it is the parent to the offset alignments, but they should follow, not anchor the parent alignment.

I am about to make a second alignment to replace the first one with the same starting point, bearing and profile, just extend a lot farther so I don't run into this again.

Brad
LT, C3D 2005 - 2024
Message 8 of 8
BWYarger

I have a temporary work around.  I changed the offset alignments to centerline and miscellaneous (west edge of through lane), and then I was able to modify the two criticial alignments individually.  I still can't modify the future centerline, but that is something that can wait.

Brad
LT, C3D 2005 - 2024

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report