Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expressions 2008?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
157 Views, 10 Replies

Expressions 2008?

Is there any resolution for the expressions issue in 2008? I have SP1 installed, and just find out today that you can't modify or create new expressions in this version? This is one of the key selling point i made to management for the conversion to C3D; we can customize our labels to automatically update with the model. Who decided it would be OK to leave this functionality broken? Is there any known workaround? I'm pulling my &*^&^%&*^% hair out here!
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
mbcastle
in reply to: Anonymous

I have not yet tried expressions with SP1 installed. What I have been doing is creating the label styles with the expressions in 2007 (in a separate 2007 drawing) and then dragging that style into the drawing I'm working with in 2008.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

thanks, mb, i'll give that a try.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Chris Hopper wrote:
> Is there any resolution for the expressions issue in 2008? I have SP1 installed, and just find out today that you can't modify or create new expressions in this version? This is one of the key selling point i made to management for the conversion to C3D; we can customize our labels to automatically update with the model. Who decided it would be OK to leave this functionality broken? Is there any known workaround? I'm pulling my &*^&^%&*^% hair out here!

I've created expressions in '08. Are you having trouble with something
specific?

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Message 5 of 11
davidokonewski8100

What expressions are you trying to create? Some older expressions you can not create ... like a profile elevation linked into a Station Offset. But if you have them already they can be copied over.

I also have created several expressions in 2008 with no problem.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

I'm not having problems creating expressions. That seems to work OK. I cannot use the expressions as reference text; they don't show up in the pulldown. So far, this is happening with references to profiles. I also seem to be able to import (drag 'n drop) some labels, but not others. This is ridiculous.
Message 7 of 11
davidokonewski8100

I've found that most profile expressions/Rtext need to be created in 2007 and then dragged into 2008. If you can't drag them into the drawing, clean out the file you have the expressio/style in and then insert it as a block (Thanks Dana for this tip)
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

After two and a half hours of frustration, i was finally able to import a label with nested expression by inserting the 2007 dwg as a block. This created approximately 200 errors with my next audit. Multiple audits have reduced the number to 151 errors, that will not resolve. I had zero success with the drag/drop method. I would desparately love to remove 2008 from my machine, but the backwards compatability issue has made it a necessity on some projects. Is there any hope for the expressions issue to be fixed in an upcoming service pack?
Message 9 of 11
davidokonewski8100

According to many discussions with Dana, and her corresponding discussions with people at Autodesk ... expressions are not broken. The way they worked in 2007 was technically a bug. They should not have worked that way but they did. So unless you can create them in 2007 and add to a 2008 file you are SOL unfortunately.

When you inserted them into your current file did you -purge R and clean out as much overhead as possible? This was the only way I could get them from 2007 to 2008 without a bunch of errors.
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

Good Day,
I've also experience problems with expression in 2008. I created a simple expression for Profile View Label - the expression was profile1- 0.025 .. when i added this to my label and pick my finished grade. It didn't work!!

If you can make this simple expression please show me how!!!
Message 11 of 11
davidokonewski8100

I'll give it a shot first thing tomorrow when I get in. I know that Profile Labels can carry an expression as I have one that is Grid elevation - .5

I haven't tried anything having to due with referencing a specific profile but I'll give it a shot.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report