Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expression in a Line Table Style

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
azcosurveyor
2493 Views, 16 Replies

Expression in a Line Table Style

My goal is to create a Line Table that converts a Tag label distance from grid to ground. I have successfully done this with a regular Bearing over Distance line label, but when I try to use the Tag function and associated tables with the same Expression, I get a bunch of ??? in the distance portion of the Line Table.

Has anyone ran into this problem? Can I use expressions in Tables? I have attached a PDF of what I'm doing, hopefully its of some help.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Jeff_M
in reply to: azcosurveyor

Seems to work ok here (I used a larger than normal factor just to be sure I was seeing a result).

5-15-2014 11-30-42 AM.png

Can you post a portion of the drawing?

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 17
azcosurveyor
in reply to: Jeff_M

On the original post I attached a PDF that shows what my table is doing, but it looks like you are having no problems. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong on this here. Are those tables out of the box or are they tables you created? 

Message 4 of 17
Jeff_M

One is OOTB, the other is a new style with the length portion edited to use the expression.

EESignature
Message 5 of 17
azcosurveyor

Ok, here is a better picture of what is happening when I attempted using tables.

Message 6 of 17
Jeff_M

If you could post the drawing (dwg file) it will take far less time to determine why it's not working.

EESignature
Message 7 of 17
azcosurveyor

Ok, here is the dwg file. I'm sorry, still new to posting on these boards. I'm using AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013. Thank you for taking some time to help me out, this problem has been dogging a few of us here for a while.

Message 8 of 17
Jeff_M

OK, I see the problem. In your first image the Toolspace was expanded to show the Parcel label styles and expression. Therefor I thought you were using these and that is what I used to test with. The issue is that the Line Tables use ONLY the features available to the Parcel Label styles. So if you want to use an expression in the table you will need to label parcel lines instead of basic lines. It would be nice if these tables would use the expressions from both General Lines/Curves and Parcels Lines/Curves, but as of now they do not.

EESignature
Message 9 of 17
azcosurveyor

Ok, I believe I have tested what you have told me, and it worked, but I want to make sure I understood everything.

1. To get Line Tables to work with Tags using Expressions, I have to use the Parcel Line command instead of the regular line command.

2. The regular line command doesn't have an associated table outside of Parcels, correct?

Message 10 of 17
Jeff_M

Correct on both counts.
EESignature
Message 11 of 17
azcosurveyor

I can't thank you enough for your time. It was one of those problems that was right in front of me and I just couldn't see it. Thank you again.

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous

I have followed the entire thread on this problem, and I still cannot get my tables to recognize my expressions. Has anyone been able to fix this problem on C3D 2016?

Message 13 of 17
Jeff_M
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous, can you post your dwg file? Are you using Parcel Line Label expressions or General Line Label expressions? As has been noted previously, only Parcel Line/Curve Label expressions are available for use in Parcel Line/Curve Tables.

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

EESignature
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous

I have added an expression to convert grid to ground distance in both the (Parcel-Label Styles-Line) and the (General-Label Styles-Line) sections. I have tried labeling by parcel and by line and curve. I have tried drawing an arbitrary line vs. my parcel. nothing seems to work just those ??? in the table. It's weird because the expression works on both labeling a line and a parcel line. Just doesn't want to work on a table.

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous

Oh, and thanks for the speedy reply

Message 16 of 17
Jeff_M

Can you post a small dwg showing how it's not working?
EESignature
Message 17 of 17
rtorluccio

This all makes sense for ground distances. Why on earth does AutoCad allow for so many properties of labeling line segments but limits labeling parcel line segments? I would like to create a mean bearing using parcel lines but I’m limited to the segment direction. At least allow for forward and back azimuths so that I can calculate my mean bearing. Does anyone have a work around for this? I can do it for general line segments but then I can’t create line tables for them. Please AutoCad, have tables read exactly what the label is producing. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report