Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting to Shape Files for GIS

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
focuseng
587 Views, 3 Replies

Exporting to Shape Files for GIS

I have to convert my ACAD drawing to shape files for a GIS user.  I have figured out how create a polygon, point or line and add object data with the tables.  I have my ACAD drawing setup to the requested coordinate system but when I send them the shape files they are telling me that they get a error in ArchGIS stating "an extent that is not consistent with the associated spatial reference information".  Any ideas becasue I don't have GIS and the people I am sending this to don't use ACAD so I am at a loss on how to fix this problem and I don't know what the problem is so I don't know where to start.  I am using Civil 3D 2012.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
KirkNoonan
in reply to: focuseng

I would suggest doing a zoom extents in model space in your drawing to make sure that there are no objects that are way out in space or at the origin. You could also try to import your shapefiles into a new drawing to see if they come in right for you.

Message 3 of 4
focuseng
in reply to: KirkNoonan

when I reimport them info ACAD they work fine it is an issue with importing them into GIS but I need to do something different in ACAD.  It may have to do with units but I don't know what to do with the units.

Message 4 of 4
thepworth
in reply to: focuseng

0)  Check your drawing under units / insert units to make sure it's in feet and not inches....

1)  Check out the Map3D tutorials - they install with Civil3D.

2)  I've had issues with Civil 3D recognizing the Map3D assigned Coordinate System (CS) but not vice-versa.  You may need to assign the CS via the MapWspace versus Civil Drawing Settings

3) Check to see if your reseller has a Map3D applications engineer to help you through in a 1 on 1 session

4)  Consider purchasing the workbook "Map3D A practical guide" by Alex Penney - it's what I used to teach from

5)  Repost /update if still lost....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report