Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting to AutoCAD from C3D Issue

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
ThomasGlidewell
312 Views, 3 Replies

Exporting to AutoCAD from C3D Issue

Hopefully I am just missing some setting somewhere. Everytime I export my C3D file to AutoCAD it changes the Units and Zone setting from US Survey Foot to International Foot. Any ideas why?

Thanks

IDSP 2014

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
tcorey
in reply to: ThomasGlidewell

I don't know why it does that, but the way to get around it is to assign an actual coordinate system to the drawing. When you open the exported acad drawing it will have held the coordinate system and will be be in US Survey Feet.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 4
Jay_B
in reply to: ThomasGlidewell

I am able to replicate the issue of the Units and Zone setting being switched from US Survey Foot to International Foot when doing an Acad Export.

Test was done by taking a (US Survey Foot) Civil 3d dwg and exporting to AutoCad, opening the Exported Acad dwg in Civil 3d and checking the Units and Zone setting which read International Foot.

Prior to the export I annotated a specific Point with an Mleader and the N, E & Z to the 8th decimal precision.

As a check to see if any shift of coordinates is occurring I attached the C3d dwg to the Acad Export dwg and visa verse.

Snapped from node to node of several random points (matching points between the 2 files) and only distances of 0.00000000 were returned.

Other than the fact that when Exported Acad dwg is opened in C3d, drawing settings Units & Zone reports International Feet, are you seeing any actual problem with the exported file, such as an actual coordinate shift?

Civil 3D 2014 SP1 used.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 4 of 4
sboon
in reply to: Jay_B

When a drawing is exported to ACad is has no Civil3D settings at all.  The base ACad drawing has feet as a unit but it doesn't know the difference between US and International.

If you open any plain ACad drawing in Civil3d the software has to have a minimal set of default styles and settings to work from, otherwise the program could not run at all.  These styles and settings are part of your installation - I believe that they're stored in the registry.  Since those displayed settings aren't coming from your drawing they shouldn't be an issue.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report