AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Contributor
tbranan
Message 1 of 21 (448 Views)

Exporting terrain mesh into landxml, possibly as a point cloud

448 Views, 20 Replies
09-20-2012 07:34 AM

I already own 3d studio max, and Maya, and it seems neither can resolve my current issue. I have a peice of geographical terrain mesh that I've imported in from 3d studio max. its a fairly high polygon count, about 2.2 million. I'm trying to see if Civil 3d will do what I need. as far as I can tell, it will, but I haven't used autocad of any kind since about 1995. Things have obviously changed.

First problem is the mesh seems to have come in Y up instead of Z up, but thats not a dealbreaker although it'd be better if it didn't.

second is all the edges between vertices seem to have been bezied, or curved at the very least. The mesh is extremely unrespnsive even though it works fine in Max. again, this may be not too big a deal.

third, if posible, I need to create a point cloud from this, then export it to LandXML. I'm only using a trial version of civil 3d at the moment cause I need to see if it will actually do this or not before plunking down the money, and buying it would take like 5 weeks of beauracracy to get through. I've looked at the help files and I'm not finding the point cloud options where they say and exporting to LandXML doesn't seem like a quick file/export kind of option. And I can't find that where it says in the help file either..

I'm fully ready to call myself ignorant on all this, cause I am. My end result is to get this into 3d Analyst in ArcMap. Trying to figure out all the steps hasn't been easy. If someone could at least say its possible, that would be nice. If someone could say yes, its possible with what you have, and here is more or less how, that would be fantastic.

thanks to all

*Expert Elite*
antoniovinci
Message 2 of 21 (440 Views)

Re: Exporting terrain mesh into landxml, possibly as a point cloud

09-20-2012 08:35 AM in reply to: tbranan

If your very last goal is a Landxml, you've only to explode that TIN up to 3Dfaces level, then you create an empty Civil surface, to which definition you add those 3Dfaces as "Drawing objects", finally _LANDXMLOUT. 

Contributor
tbranan
Message 3 of 21 (435 Views)

09-20-2012 09:15 AM in reply to: antoniovinci

I don't think its actually considered a TIN at this point. its just a mesh I imported from 3d studio max. I've been searching the help and it keeps telling me to "go here to do x" and I go there and there is no x to be found.

it says there is a point cloud option in the create ground data panel, and there is no such panel. says there is a create point cloud data wizard and there is no wizard.

I look at a youtube video for how to export a landxml file and it shows me options I don't have or how to get there. Don't really understand why there isn't a simple file/export for it. I'm sure they have their reasons but I don't really get why importing a file is under 'insert' instead of just file/import.

I solved some of the other small issues but the big ones still remain and hitting my head on the desk is about as much help as always. its fun to be clueless.

Contributor
tbranan
Message 4 of 21 (425 Views)

09-20-2012 10:11 AM in reply to: tbranan

these options locked out because its in a trial period? seems like its supposed to be fully functioning. and if it is crippled, its an odd option to remove those.

even trying command line optons tells me they don't exist.

*Expert Elite*
Jeff_M
Message 5 of 21 (415 Views)

09-20-2012 11:11 AM in reply to: tbranan

Nothing is locked out in the trial period. Are you using the correct shortcut to start C3D? What workspaces are available to you?

workspaces.png 

You will be wanting the one named Civil 3D. If it isn't available, then it sounds like the wrong shortcut was used to start C3D. The Create Point Cloud is on that Create Ground Data panel you see in the image above, you need to click the header of the panel to expand it and then you will see the command there.

The trial you have, is C3D2013?

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
Contributor
tbranan
Message 6 of 21 (402 Views)

09-20-2012 01:14 PM in reply to: Jeff_M

thanks for making me double check that. aparently, if you look at the whole line on the first icon, its "civil3d AS autocad" and not just "civil 3d"

that was really helpful.

now, all the magical items have appeared, but after having taken a look at them, none of them seem to have an option to take my object and create either a TIN or a point cloud off of it, unless I'm just confused on terminology or method.

but its progress of a sort.

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 7 of 21 (401 Views)

09-20-2012 01:18 PM in reply to: tbranan

If you want to go through Civil 3D, you'll have to create a surface or a Point Cloud. You can't do that from a mesh. If you bring the mesh in to Civil 3D and explode it. You will have 3D Faces and can use those to create a surface. Be careful if the mesh has a base, you'll have to erase that.

If you want a Point Cloud. You'll have to use a file type that Civil can import. The image below shows a list of those file types.

AllenPCLD.png

Contributor
tbranan
Message 8 of 21 (399 Views)

09-20-2012 01:28 PM in reply to: AllenJessup

1. ok, so explode mesh

2. ???

3. profit!

I think thats how it goes..

all kidding aside, I explode the mesh into faces, then how do I select those faces to create the point cloud/tin/etc ? poking through the options it didn't look clear how I would be able to grab items in scene to create results. it seemed to mostly want some kind of external file.

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 9 of 21 (393 Views)

09-20-2012 01:51 PM in reply to: tbranan

In the Toolspace, on the Prospector tab, right click on Surfaces and create a new Surface. Once it is created expand the Surface and the Definitions and right click on Drawing Objects. In the Add Points From Drawing Objects dialog box select an Object type of 3D Faces. Hit OK and select the 3D faces from the drawing. Once that is done a Surface based on those faces will immediately be build.

After that's built you can right click on the Surface and select Export to LandXML.

DOD.png

Allen

*Expert Elite*
Jeff_M
Message 10 of 21 (392 Views)

09-20-2012 01:51 PM in reply to: tbranan

What are the objects created when the mesh is exploded? Hopefully either a 3DFace or a Polyface, as these are the 2 that can be used to define the surface.

Providing you have one of those, on the Create Ground Data Panel, select Surfaces, then choose Create Surface. Give it a name and a style to display, hit OK. On the Prospector, find the Surface you just created, expand the tree until you see the Definition branch, right-click on the Drawing Objects, then change the drop down list to display the 3d object type. Select the objects.

9-20-2012 1-50-51 PM.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs