Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting simple .SHP files into GIS?

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
GreeneSWCD
837 Views, 19 Replies

Exporting simple .SHP files into GIS?

I need to export a .SHP file containing some polygons to a GIS user so he can lay the shapes in a GIS map.  The data he needs from me is the outlines of several wetlands I've designed in C3D 2010.  There isn't any elevation data associated with the outlines.  They are just traced waterlines from each pool set into a layer called "permanent pools."  He wants these to show location in a GIS plan. 

When I try to MAPEXPORT, and then selct each of my 10 pool outlines, it says "no object selected" in the command line.  Am I doing something wrong?  I've never done this before, but I thought it looked straight enough forward to get through it. 

Could someone please give me list of operations to get through this task?  Thanks. 

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: GreeneSWCD

What type of objects are you exporting?  You must specify that in the export dialog box.  If it's linework, then lines, if it's points, then points.  If it's closed polylines, then polygons, etc.  If you have done this correctly, in the dialog box at the very bottom, it will tell you how many you have selected.  See image below...

4-4-2012 8-46-10 AM.png

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 20
GreeneSWCD
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

You must be in a different year than I am.  I get the menu below. 

You can see one of my wetlands off to the right of the menu.  I'd like to copy that magenta pool outline as a shape file to drop it in GIS.  It's just a closed polygon. When I select them all (13 in total), it counts them as I click on them, but then when I go on, it says zero objects exported of objects selected.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 20
ToddRogers-WPM

Ah, this was an issue in 2010.  You can read about the fix at the following URL below...

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=13251791&linkID=9240697

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 5 of 20
GreeneSWCD

Ahhhh, I'll get my IT guy right on that.  (No admin permissions on my end, so I can't download that file.) 

Thanks. 

Message 6 of 20
GreeneSWCD

That worked! 

But, what's the difference between linework and polygons in this context? 

Message 7 of 20
ToddRogers-WPM

Polygons are closed polylines.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 8 of 20
GreeneSWCD

It may very well be out of your realm, but the projection is wrong my new shapes, so it won't project correctly in GIS.  Do you know how to change the projection, by any chance? 

Thanks.

Message 9 of 20
ToddRogers-WPM

It's going to create a projection file when you export it based on the current drawing's coordinate system.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 10 of 20
GreeneSWCD

Is that changeable before exporting in CAD?

Message 11 of 20
ToddRogers-WPM

Yes.  In the Toolspace, click on the Settings tab, right-click on the drawing name and choose Edit Drawing Settings...

4-4-2012 8-46-10 AM.png

Once there, under the Units and Zone tab, set your coordinate system.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 12 of 20
GreeneSWCD

You are on top of your game!

But, I don't have an exact match in any pulldowns, so it's still not jiving between the two. 

I need the geographic coordinate system to be:  GCS_North_American_1983

And the Projected Coordinate System to be:  NAD_1983_UTM_Zone_17N 

I can't find either, but I did find under Category in CAD:  UTM NAD83 Datum,  with the Description of NAD83(CSRS)/UTM zone 17N.  But that doesn't work either. 

What am I overlooking? 

Message 13 of 20
ToddRogers-WPM

4-4-2012 8-46-10 AM.png

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 14 of 20
GreeneSWCD

I still get the error below.  Then it asks me if I want to reproject. 

Message 15 of 20
ToddRogers-WPM

I don't know anything about ArcGIS.  That's a whole different ball game for me.  Sorry.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 16 of 20
GreeneSWCD

You've been very helpful so far, thanks so much! 

I think it's time to take this conversation to a GIS forum. 

thanks again. 

Message 17 of 20
antoniovinci

I guess Arcgis needs a .PRJ file, that's why you get that error, sir.

Unzip the attached one, rename the content to match the name of SHP/DBF/SHX files of your shapeset, and try again to load all in Arcgis.

Message 18 of 20
GreeneSWCD
in reply to: antoniovinci

Where do I save that file, and what do I use to open it? 

Thanks for jumping in. 

Message 19 of 20
antoniovinci

A .PRJ is the fourth file of a shapeset, so you should unzip (renaming it) in the same folder of its fellows SHP/DBF/SHX.

Then in your Gis you load the .SHP as new layer, and automatically the remaining DBF/SHX/PRJ will be used, in order to place the data (geometry and attributes) on the Earth.

I advise you to read more about the shape format (standard in Gis environment) here, sir.

Message 20 of 20

Make sure all of the polygons are closed in AutoCAD Civil 3D before you do mapexport.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report