Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting from Trimble Business Center to AutoCAD C3D 2012

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Hogfan1978
6475 Views, 2 Replies

Exporting from Trimble Business Center to AutoCAD C3D 2012

First time poster here.  Hopefully someone can help me out.

I'm using Trimble Business Center to import my survey points into AutoCAD C3D2012.  IN TBC, I'm just file > export and selcecting the CAD button.  Everything is fine on the export except that when I open the CAD drawing, it opens in a general CAD template, not my normal CAD template that I use.  That's the problem. 

If I just open ACAD normally, my customized template opens automatically, but not when I export from TBC.

Any suggestions?  Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mathewkol
in reply to: Hogfan1978

First, welcome to the board.

This is perfectly normal behavior.  TBC is creating the drawing without any knowledge of which DWT to use.  Start C3D and start a new DWG using your desired template.  Insert the DWG TBC has created for you and expolde the resulting block.  Done.

That's the fix to your problem, but a better answeer follows.

Ideally, you want sthese points to be Civil 3D points, exporting from TBC I don't think will give you this.  Export from TBC to an ASCII file formatted like...

P,N,E,Z,D

Where P = Point numnber, N = Northing, E = Easting, Z = Elevation, and D = Description.

Import this into Civil 3D using the Import Points from File tool and now you have real C3D points that are actuallly useful and not dumb points the TBC would likely give you.

That said, if TBC is connecting the dots (creating linewrok) for you, definitely export that and use them (although C3D has tools for this as well).

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 3
Hogfan1978
in reply to: mathewkol

Thanks Matt,

I went ahead and converted a CSV to an ASCII and it worked.  They just updated me with Windows 7 and ACAD 2012 at the same time.  Last week, I had XP on Acad 2010 and it worked fine exporting from TBC.  It did give me real points.  Oh well.  Looks like this is my method now. Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report